Interesting experience with Musician's friend customer service

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by knight, Mar 31, 2003.

1. knight

Nov 3, 2002
    I thought I would share this with you people...
    I ordered an MXR phase 90 pedal from MF. When it got here, I opened it and found in it a letter from another customer that said "I want to inform you that I'm returning this item because it's defective so that it's not put back in stock." I thought, there we go, they screwed this one up...
    So I called up customer service (the fool that I am) and talked to a lady who managed to sound annoyed and condescending at the same time throughout the call. At the end of the conversation, I said "I want you to realize that even though your company screwed up, in all this conversation you managed to avoid apologizing once. I thought you might like to keep that in mind since you are supposed to be working for customer service. Naturally, since I have a choice, I'll be buying my stuff somewhere else". Her reply?
    "That's alright with me..."
  2. Some people just don't understand good customer service. MF is one of those companies. They have enough sales that they probably don't lose much on the mistakes that they make, so they don't care much about them. I've been lucky enough to have no problems with them, but I am mostly done buying stuff from MF.

3. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You should have immediately asked to speak to her boss.

brad cook
  4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    How come so many nice people are out of work and mofos like this have jobs? :mad:
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'll admit, customer service doesn't sound like a fun job. I mean you get nothing but complaints and "this is screwed up" all day long. But you have to represent your company. I can't believe that. I don't know if I'll be dealing with musicians friend that often. I mean, what if there wasn't a letter in there, and you just got this broken product and didn't know. They'd probably find some way to screw you. I think I as well might take my busniess (rare but busniess none the less) elsewhere.
  6. odie

odie Supporting Member

I ordered 2 higher ticket items from the 2 years ago. One was a bass that had a crackinthe neck heal, another had a pup that wasnt working!!

I shipped them back to them and they still have never reimbursed my shipping costs!!

At least a dozen calls, one item replaced but never my shipping. I finally just gave up.

Since then Ive never bought a single thing from them.
  7. luckily i have had no problems with this sort of thing with MF, but i have worked customer service for a cruise company for almost 4 years and i does get annoying at times but not annoying enough that i become flat out rude! I hope your problems are resolved quickly and maybe they could get a lesson in real customer servicefrom the folks at Peavey. The kind people at Peavey have been nothing short of phenominal with dealing with a problem i had recently with a bass.
  8. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I recently tried to get the MF'rs to do a price match on a product. They tried sooo hard to weasel out of matching the lower price that I told them to forget it.

I was tempted to order an Aphex Bass Xciter from MF since they have them in-stock and free shipping on orders over $99, but I decided I don't want them to have any of my money no matter how good their deals may be.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    We should email a link to this thread to MF when we get like 4 pages. :D :D
  10. ....So what happened? ARE YOU GONNA SUE(spelling)?! :p

sorry to hear that....

I called them once and told them my cable didn't work that I got (w/ bass and amp package) so the guy was like "alright...lemme find your order,ahh here we are...ok Jon,I will have one shipped out to yuo ASAP" came a few days later...nice guy.

Maybe the chick was on PMS? or maybe her and that 'nice guy' were being for then just musican's friend's if you know what I mean ;) and she wanted to get back to "business" haha,crack myself up...

11. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    I ordered a SKB rack and one of the promotions they were running was a free gig wallet with order. Rack came fairly quickly, but no gig wallet. When I called customer service, I got the same sort of response, annoyed with my complaint, "well you got free shipping" wrong, my order was under the free shipping limit. It was like pulling teeth to get them to ship it. Haven't bought anything from them since. They did reduce the price of a bass $50 to a friend of mine who was jacked around for 8 weeks waiting for a bass that was "in stock".
  12. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    Well I might reconsider buying a bass from them now that I heard of that story! (wink, wink). I like the idea of sending this thread to the Mother Fu, errrrrrrrrrrr, Musicians Friend.
  13. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    One thing that's interesting to me is that in "Guitar Center is the devil" threads there are always a couple of folks that chime in that used to work at GC. However, I've never seen that happen in a "No, Musician's Friend is the devil" thread. Maybe it's happened but I've never personally seen that. Does MF actually hire any musicians? If not then that might explain a lot. Or maybe this would be a good time for someone who worked there to come forward and tell us all about it if that person exists on TB. I'd like to know if that work experience is similar to what we've heard about working at GC (especially since they're owned by the same corp. now).

brad cook
  14. I know of one TB'er who works, or worked for, Musicians Friend.
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars too...

...but he's a good egg! Trust me, he has nothing to do with this kinda garbage. Damn shame to see this stuff, but what are ya gonna do?

Seems that customer service is the last thought in most of corporate culture these days...

16. pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    Well, since you guys are asking for someone to admit they work at MF, here I am... I always kept a low profile around these threads, I hope you can understand why! I will admit that our customer service is lacking. But what happened to many of you is inexcusable, and I apologize...

I am gonna pm knight and get the info from him on his order and see what I can do. I am a team lead for the Returns department, so my group goes through all the stuff that is sent back. Maybe I can smooth the wheels a little bit.

DigMe, I would assume that the situation at MF is similar to what happens at GC... Even though GC and MF are the same company now, there is still plenty of seperation between the two.

If you need any other info about MF, let me know!

17. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Well since the cat's out the bag, PM helped me out with a p'up cover for my '75 Jazz reissue. It was cheaper than I thought and it got here much faster than I expected. I'm not saying that MF is great, I'm just mentioning my experience with them.
  18. I've returned a few things to them (that's part of the risk of buying "Scratch and Dent") and I've always sat on pins and needles waiting for the funds to be credited back to my account, but in all fairness, they've never screwed up on doing it in a timely manner. It usually happens within a day or two of when they receive my return. I gotta say that's pretty good for a company so big.
  19. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    PM appears to be a good egg, and in the vast minority of MF employees. I have had several nightmares with them and will not buy any large item from them again. My sig says it all....
  20. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    ..and I forgot to ad, the final straw for me was when I sent a letter to the CEO, detailing the bad experience I had, and I never even got a form letter back.