1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting Facts Related to Amplification of Bass Signals

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bottomzone, Jul 18, 2007.

1. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
  2. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Thanks for the article. It explains things in a an easy to understand manner, despite a couple typos, probably because of the translation.

3. By the way, great article ;)

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Not what I was expecting but I'll skim through it at some point.

Seems someones become a US distributor of hevos recently. Never heard one but their midgets were of interest the first time I'd heard mention of them.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Quote from the article:
    Putting a bass loudspeaker cabinet on the floor means that radiation is only possible in half a spherical way (halfspace). Sound energy that is radiated from the loudspeaker remains unchanged, resulting in a redoubling of the radiated energy in halfspace, compared to spherical radiation. So this results in a gain of 3 dB, so the energy of the lower tones double! The same effect occurs when the cabinet is placed near a wall. Positioning a cabinet both on the floor and close to a wall results in a quarter space, and the radiated energy increases with another 3 dB.

Problem: It's wrong. With each halving of the pi radians of radiating space there is an increase of 6dB in axial sensitivity, not 3dB. There are quite a few other errors in the piece, but this is the most aggregious.

6. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    I have a lot of respect for Hevos, but I don't think these can be facts unless references are cited for where the information comes from. It's a good read, but should be taken with a grain of salt as opinion and observation. IMO :)

7. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    I looks like an advertisement to me.

8. joelb79

joelb79

Mar 22, 2006
    Lansing, Michigan
    My head just exploded... thanks bill. you owe me a free omni 10 now :D

9. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    I tried some Hevos amps and cabs at the NAMM show and they are absolutely fabulous. Wish they were more readily available here. I liked them better than the Glock; WAY more powerful, great sound, and the amps were teeny and light. Somebody needs to step in and distribute them properly here in North America.

Great article, even if some techno-geeks will take umbrage at the numbers; I had heard that floor coupling gives you a 6dB increase, but I listen with my ears not a graphing calculator, and they tell me it may be less than that, so I give them the benefit of the doubt.

Cheers,
    Cameron

10. Bassflute

Bassflute

Jun 24, 2006
    Vancouver
    Endorsing Artist: MTD basses and strings; Bergantino Amps & Cabs
    Any idiot knows that if g(k)=2k+[(3/2)k]-2, and if 2k{(3/2)k}+[(3/2)k]? 2k g(k)=2k+[(3/2)k]+[(4/3)k]-2 and if 2k{(3/2)k}+[(3/2)k]>2k and [(4/3)k][(3/2)k]+[(4/3)k]+[(3/2)k]=2k then g(k)=2k+[(3/2)k]+[(4/3)k]-3 is really 2k{(3/2)k}+[(3/2)k]>2k and [(4/3)k][(3/2)k]+[(4/3)k]+[(3/2)k]>2k...

so, that PROVES they're both wrong and it's 4.5dB!

Come on, man, you knew that.

:bag:

Cameron

11. silky smoove

silky smoove

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Foolish rookie..... You forgot to factor in the inverse log of pi multiplied by the resultant dB divided by the speaker's xMax minus its basket diameter... I thought EVERYBODY knew that :p

12. +1
    I was thinking the same thing, now I am confused :help:

13. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    South Shore MA
    But what about the flux capacitance?

14. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    You can't figure the flux capacitance without first taking the inverse wavelet transform of the Bernoulli projection on the imaginary axis.

15. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    I'm rising irresistibly to poisonous bait, but don't we all?

It seems to me that the mocking of knowledgeable contributors' opinions just serves to dumb things down around here.

Ok, yeah, each person can decide to come out as anti-intellectual in the name of harmless youthful humor--but I think it tamps down the ideas and contributions of those who have a sophisticated understanding of the problems and issues we are all interested in. I think we all lose.

It may be simple fun, but after seeing like 1000 posts in the last month with the same sort of anti-intellectual/anti-science humor, I begin to wonder....What has happened? Are the mods thinking this is not off topic? How is it ON topic? Just my humble opinion. :confused:

16. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    +10!

17. For Gods sake.....let ppl post what they want to-as long as they aren't personally attacking anyone! If someone has the KNOWLEDGE......then by ALL MEANS USE IT!!!!!!!!!!! I know I don't understand a lot of it, but some wuill-so.....it's got it's place!!!!! Each to his own......we gotta remember-if we all had the same tastes what a BORING world this would be!!! & No that aint a Sam Cooke Song! ;-)

18. :bag:

Attached Files:

19. de la mocha

de la mocha

Aug 20, 2005
    NEW JERSEY
    Man, it takes at least 400 watts for a bass player to be heard over a 90 watt guitar amp? That sucks!

20. WillPlay4Food

WillPlay4Food Now With More Metal! Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Orbiting HQ
    I think a little levity is A-OK. If the original scientific poster is offended by the lighthearted jabs at his mathematical explanation, he is free to contact us mods to discuss possible remedies.

Not every post in a thread will be on topic. That's just the way it is. People will pick up on a piece of someone's post and go off on that tangent. Sometimes it'll be ignored and sometimes it'll become the new main point of the thread, just like talking to people in real life. If us mods closed every thread that went off topic, there'd be about 3 open threads to post in on this forum.