Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting GC episode

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 10, 2003.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As I stated in my earlier "Unplugged" thread, I bought a Tacoma/Olympia acoustic bass. Apparently, they priced it as a used bass, but it was new, so the lady stopped me at the front desk to check it out. The serial numbers didn't match, so she called the salesweasel. Her and the saleman went at it for several minutes before the manager walked up. They explained it to him, he said, "Well, that was the price that was on it, so give it to him." So I got a new Tacoma/Olympia acoustic bass for $349.00. Not bad.

2. Excelent!!

I love it when that happens!:D

3. Grats!

I've been in the Atlanta GC a few times when I lived there two years ago. That's where I got my SWR gear. Unfortunately, I didn't get a deal as good as yours though!

4. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    My guess is that the salesmen became distracted by the myriad Eddie Van Halen* clones wailing away at full volume on bastardized versions of "Eruption" and thus mispriced said item.

*Dated, yes, but still woefully relevant.

5. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    PB: Everytime I see your avatar, I feel the need to worship Bob! :p

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Woodchuck,

Good news for you! That's not a Tacoma/Olympia. It's a straight-up Tacoma Thunderchief. Olympia is a separate brand name under Tacoma, not a model of Tacoma bass. They only make the Thunderchief. If it was Olympia it would say "Olympia" on the head. You got a friggin' amazing deal on a smokin' bass, my friend. As far as I know the Thunderchiefs usually sell at GC for about $800.00 or so. Someone just confused the Olympia w/ the Thunderchief. I have a Tacoma DM-9 acoustic guitar and it's great. They make some high quality stuff. Congrats!

brad cook

edit: For those of you confused as to how I knew it's a Tacoma and not an Olympia, I just saw the pic of it in another thread that Woodie started.

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I tried to tell him that in the other thread - WC, did you look for the lam neck block? What's the label say?

They may have changed the Olympia headstock, but I don't think so...

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It's definitely not an Olympia.

brad cook

9. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Resistance is futile! ;)
    [​IMG]

10. That's my favorite episode too! Too bad I've never been able to star in it yet...

11. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Man, I am so jealous that I hate you! I have wanted one of those forever, especially for under $400! :mad: :D

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Let's hear it for lazy store managers!

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I think it's cool that they gave it to you for the price that it was marked at, even though it was obviously wrong. How many times have you been asked to come up with more money, even though someone else made a mistake and mismarked something (or added a total wrong, or gave you a total without first adding the sales tax, etc.)?

Good for you, Woodchuckles!

14. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Wow! Sweet deal Woodchuck, you should be proud!

15. Starrchild

Starrchild

Nov 10, 2000
    The Bay.
    :D
    We wouldn't expect anything else from GC right.