Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting half/half ERB

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pilotjones, Mar 3, 2005.

1. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    I thought this was interesting, and wondered what the ERBers here would think of it: F# B fretted, E A D G fretless, C F fretted:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The FL area has a raised fingerboard to make it the same height as the fret crowns- cool thing. The problem I might imagine is that the fretless "positions" line up with the frets, rather than with the fretted finger positions.

2. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Cool concept, and its purdy, but I couldn't comment on playability. Im sure you could intonate your fretless strings to match the fretted position, but then you might not have proper tuning on your open strings, but Im not versed enough to know for sure. Im imagine it would be more likely to just get used to playing it with proper intonation across all strings and just adjust your positions on the fretless strings.

Its interesting they use different fingerboard woods across the neck, I wonder if this is to produce a rounded tone across all registers, or if it possible makes it sound a little odd tone wise from section to section.

3. I saw an ad for a similar hybrid in BP a while ago. It was a 7-string.

I'd take that to a gig, just for kicks. I'd like to see people's reaction upon seeing and hearing this baby.

Who's the maker?

4. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Basstec
    http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl?lp=ja_en&trurl=http://www.bastec.net/intro.html
    (machine translation)

They have some interesting stuff. 7 + 8 strings with low C#, 39" scale "extended" basses, with the dot markers done shifted two positions to make up for a two semitone downtuning, extended string on headstock (think Kubicki or orchestral bass C extensions) and more.

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i think i saw that ad too, b-day boy!!!

bump, who's the maker?

6. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Looks like they like ebony for low strings and "karin" or something like that for highs. Brubaker also does a "splitboard," using ebony for the bass.

7. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    Man, reading, or should I say trying to read through their site was like macho donkey wrestling (I'll be impressed if anyone gets the joke hehe)

8. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Yes, machine translations are horrible-- but far better than my reading of Japanese (= zero).

Did you see the "experimental basses"?

9. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  10. pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    BTW interesting whit ash neck on the half+half:
    [​IMG]

11. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    I was going to do a 1/2 fretted/fretless multi-scale 9-string with Browne Basses. After some back and forth, we switched to just fretless, then he kinda stopped building basses. Then I started to :bawl: , but he might be building again soon... :eyebrow:

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    Guitarist DaLawn Simpson who plays with me has a 13 string Guitar,the 6 lowest strings are Fretless.

13. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Garry Goodman only needed 12 strings.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

:)

15. I sure hope he does! That would be an incredible bass. :hyper: