1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting History

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MEKer, Jan 17, 2012.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Yes, I understand that Sergeant Boston Corbet shot John Wilkes Booth in that barn. I also understand that dear Corbett, in a religious furor to punish himself for "lusty" thoughts in his younger years, actually castrated himself with a pair of scissors.:scowl:

Don't know how he survived that, but.........f'in OOWWWWWWWWW

2. colcifer

colcifer Esteemed Nitpicker Supporting Member

Feb 10, 2010
    A Galaxy Far, Far Away
    Where did you learn this? Why?

3. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    I have about a dozen books on Lincoln. Loaded with all sorts of interesting facts. BTW, this Corbet fellow had made his living (pre-war) as a "hatter" and used mercury a lot in the process. The mercury vapors, over a period of time, actually made him pretty screwed up mentally. The Civil War period is fascinating history filled with some rather bizarre characters. And Corbet is one of the central players in the final Booth story which itself is fascinating.

4. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Mercury is one of the better substances to use in forming hats made with beaver fur, which was the preferred felt at that time (and today). Both vapors and direct physical contact with mercury from handling and shaping hats led to the phrase "mad as a hatter".

5. Hi.

Interesting?

As how?

As crazy people are crazy?

As castrates are more prone to shoot someone in a barn?

As cuttin' ones wiener off doesn't necessarily kill 'em?

To me it looks a lot like someone forgot to include the punch-line.

Regards
    Sam

6. ZanaZulu807

ZanaZulu807

Aug 6, 2007
    Not to derail this, but supposedly, I had the descendents of John Wilkes Booth's brother back in my high school. One, ironically, was my history teacher and the other was his nerdy nephew in my class. The teacher was cool peoples, I'm just remembering now he had a pretty tasty looking daughter too...

7. Huh. So he castrated himself because he's human. Interesting.