Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting info

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bmc, Mar 18, 2006.

1. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Lifted off the Q and A at Epihani's website:

How Should I Match My Amp With My Speaker Cabinets?

For optimum results the rule of thumb is that your amplifier’s power rating should be HIGHER than that of your speaker cabinet. Look at it this way... If a car that can only reach 100 MPH is driven at 100 MPH, it is being forced to operate at its maximum capacity and will not perform very well, but if a high performance car, that can reach a speed of 300 MPH is driven only at 100 MPH, it handles beautifully because it has plenty of power to spare.

In like manner, a 100 watt amp, when using all 100 watts is being driven to its maximum capabilities and will not perform well. However, a 500 or 1,000 watt amp that is using only 100 watts of its power is going to perform MUCH SMOOTHER because the amp does not have to push itself at MAXIMUM power to reach the 100 watt level. The result is a much CLEANER TONE at higher volume levels.

How Should I Set the Level Controls On My Power Amp & Pre-Amp?

On your Power Amp turn the volume to its MAXIMUM level and than back it off just a bit (until there is no noticeable “hiss”), then use the MASTER VOLUME on your pre-amp to determine the OVERALL instrument volume. Be sure to keep the pre-amp volume UNDER its maximum level since pushing BOTH the power amp and pre-amp to the maximum will result in distortion and possible damaged equipment. Back off on the PRE-AMP VOLUME if you hear “distortion” (crackling or farting noise) from the speakers.

How Should I set Up My Bass Cabinet for Optimum Performance?

To achieve the best “bass response” all bass cabinets should be set SQUARELY on the floor (i.e. all four corners firmly touching the floor). However, if you find that a “BOOMY” sound is resulting from a wooden floor etc., then simply RAISE the cab up off the floor or try TILTING it back to rectify the situation. You may want to try an “Isolation Riser” – an inexpensive, high tech foam pad that floats your cab off the floor.

2. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yeah, I got that speach, I'm using an Eden WT1205, 1200 watts though a 410XLT also Eden 700 watts. I have plenty of headroom.

3. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey Supporting Member

Jul 27, 2005
    Yeah general rule of thumb twice the amount of amp watts to the cab watt rating - helps for transients and pushin air. It is so unfair - guitarists get away with 15 watts and cut your head off.

4. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    As has been said many times here, that's a case of a "right" recommendation being made for wrong reasons IMO. Having a big amp is indeed a good idea, but the question of whether you have "room to spare," or headroom, in your amp has NOTHING directly to do with your cab's rating. It has to do with the nature of the job you're trying to do. Whether your amp is rated higher than your cab is irrelevant. What matters is whether you have more amp than you need to get the job done. If you, like me, have a 1200 W amp, and it's way more than you need to get the job done, then you have ample headroom *irrespective of whether that power is twice the cab's rating, the same, or half (assuming equal sensitivity)*. If 1200 isn't enough, it doesn't matter whether the cab handles 600 W, 1200, or 2000--you're still out of headroom, and you don't get more by switching to a lower rated cab.

Bottom line: get an amp that's considerably bigger than you need, and get a cab that can handle at least the percentage of the amp's power that you'll be using. The key point is that the benefit in this scenario does *not* come from getting an amp rated for more power than the cab, it comes from getting an amp that's bigger than the job requires. That's what gives you headroom. If it so happens that the cab you use with this big amp has a lot of power handling, that's not a problem, assuming equivalent efficiency--it doesn't reduce the benefit of having a big amp, it doesn't cause "underpowering," and it doesn't increase your chances of clipping.

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004

Generally it's more like the amp is the fuel and accelerator and the engine is the speaker. The engine can only do so much and if you put in a nitrous system and burn super fuel - good clean fuel - you'll blow the engine.

Here's a site that explains the under-powering myth, but the idea extends here

http://www.bcae1.com/2ltlpwr.htm

6. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    Just don't get into a volume competition with the guitarist........

snap......crackle.......POP

Hey guys...look at these cool driver coasters I got on E-Bay

7. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    I have understood that you should use your power amp for volume level. That way you are not changing the signal, but only maker it louder or less so. If you use your preamp as a vloume knob, you are changing the signal to the poweramp, which can make it too strong or too weak and change the tone your after. Is this true or should I be doing something different? I usually adjust the tone I am after with the preamp including the preamp volume, then use my amp volume for overall loudness. Is this not correct?

8. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    And the answer is?????????????