Interesting instrument on Ebay for auction...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bass Guitar, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Bass Guitar

Bass Guitar Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2001
    I was surfing ebay as usual looking for some bargains, and came across this interesting instrument...

Essentially, a double neck, one guitar, one bass. Not very useful, as you can't possibly play both necks at once... The luthier appears to be the one for F basses... Just thought I would post here for your perusal...
  2. Carolyn

Jun 18, 2001
    Newcastle UK
    Very unusual!...Looks good, I've never seen anything like that!.:eek:
  3. xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    thanks for the link, that's really unusual...
    That's George F's work there, for sure. He makes super instruments! Never played one of his double necks though.
  4. A few days ago I found a book called "Custom Guitars". I picked it up hoping there'd be some basses too. But it was all acoustic guitars. One that caught my eye was very strange. It was built by Linda Manzer for Pat Metheny :confused: It is called "Pikasso" and it's a 42 string harp guitar. That thing had about 3 or 4 necks. The strings even crossed eachother at some points. If anyone has a pic please post it.
  5. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001

The Pikasso harp guitar actually has 43 strings. :eek:
  6. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh my gawd!!!!!!!! is that thing playable?? *runs in terror* :eek:
  7. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I've seen Pat Metheny play one. The extra, er, 37 strings are used to play drones.
  8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    I saw a picture where Geddy Lee has a Rickenbacker bass/guitar doubleneck. In the caption he said something to the effect of "the extra size of the body adds to the tone." I don't know if he actually used the guitar neck though.
  9. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I thought he used the 4080/12 (or was it 4080/6?) so
    he could cop some of the parts in Farewell to Kings live, i.e.,
    do some geetar fill-in.

I HAD a real purty 4080/12 [​IMG]:p, very much like this`un...

Also, I think Mr. T (John) has a nice Fireglo(?) double Ric moth-balled :)
  10. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH

Hope Y'all have a couple of hours to tune before each gig!!

Chris A.:rolleyes:
  11. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    I've actually seen a guy play a guitar/bass hybrid. It wasn't a neck for each, it was 3 bass strings (I think) and 4 guitar strings on a single neck. The band was two people, a drummer and guitarist/singer who played bass notes with a MIDI foot controller when not playing the above mentioned hybrid. For one or two songs he would play bass on the lower side of the neck, and played the guitar strings with a slide. I don't know if he just strung up a 7 string bass like this, did it to a regular guitar (the tension of the bass strings would probably ruin any guitar neck, and the tuners), or if it was a custom instrument, but it was cool to watch him play it.

Also if anyone's interested in trying to find the band it was the Mike Hoste Duo, but I think they were going by just the Hoste Duo that night. Don't know what they usually go by.
  12. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I've seen Charlie Hunter play an 8-string (3 bass strings, 5 guitar strings) Novax "guitar", which seems similar to what you're talking about...
  13. Bass Guitar

Aug 13, 2001
    I saw the Charlie Parker Trio play live in Melbourne 2 years ago - he is a HOT player - he was doing walking basslines while playing guitar lead at the same time, figerstyle (not tapping). Quite amazing really.
  14. I saw a picture of a guitar with the 6 guitar strings, and 4 bass strings all on one neck.... boy did that scare the crap outta me...
  15. Nails

Jun 4, 2000
    Austin, Tejas
    Slater, that looks right. It's been a while since I saw the Mike Hoste Duo so I can't remember exactly how many of what strings it had. I just remember being frightened, so very frightened.
  16. kasuals

Jul 20, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I actually became light headed when I looked at it... thought I was having a stroke or something...

That is just overwhelming... but I guess it must have it's place?

Seriously... I almost blacked out ;)

17. Q: what do you get when a luthier smoked bad pot ?
    A: see above

brrrr !!! :(
  18. That's the one! Get it away!
  19. I saw that in a show about thw guitar through the ages. that thing is fugly!
  20. Didnt Jimmy Page from Led Zepplin have some kind of double guitar that had an electric guitar and an acoustic guitar in one made up so he could record 'Stairway To Heaven' in one go without having to change guitars halfway through?