1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting items found in cabinets...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Razman, Apr 25, 2015.

1. Razman

Razman

Feb 10, 2005
    Orange Park, FL
    Just found a roll of 40/60 clear flux solder inside a Hartke 410 XL cab I just got. I heard something sliding around in it when I would pick it up to move it so I pulled a driver and viola, there it was. Not like finding a fifty but my roll of Flux solder is running low.

20150425_190252_zpsfvuwgbfz.

What have you found inside your cab or amp?

kwaping and wmhill like this.
  2. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I lost a roll in a cab once, did the whole soldering in a speaker. Totally missing, if it was anywhere else, would have showed up by now.

3. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I read a review in UK Guitarist mag where a Line 6 acoustic powered speaker started producing the unmistakable smell of pot. They (so they say) didn't pull it apart themselves but returned it to the distributer. I'd have at least had a look myself.

Fat Steve likes this.
  4. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Hemp cone and overheating coil. Hemp is more common in paper than they publicise.

MattZilla, Growlmonkee and Aqualung60 like this.
  5. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    one time a dead cockroach. one time a tiny mummified mouse.

BassShark and Aqualung60 like this.
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    A bottle of 25 year old Macallan scotch that I stuffed into the back of a combo in a vinyl bag. I thought that I had a cable in there. It must have been in there for twenty years or more. I don't really drink any more so I just left it there.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  7. I found a small "interesting" photo of someone's girlfriend/wife. She was kind of cute too.

8. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    So it was one of "those" photos. A reminder of home when on the long road.

B-string likes this.
  9. friendlybass

friendlybass

Jul 19, 2012
    Colorado
    My carvin red eye had a half a can of Copenhagen chew in it.

10. I had a Beringher Thunderbird combo that rattled, couldn't figure it out. Later on, I took it apart to find that my daughter had stuffed a small doll toy and a plastic baby spoon into it. I call her Punkinhead for a reason. Lol:roflmao: Not as cool as B String's find, but still interesting :D

11. It would have been real cool if the woman in my life at that time had a sense of humor.......she didn't. Oh well. ;)

12. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Years ago, I was doing a frame-up rebuild on a (then) expensive Soundcraft (geez, it could have been a gamble or a Harrison now that I think about it) console for a client, and once I unloaded all the modules, I pulled the frame out of the roadcase tray. Under the console was some blowin a heavy plastic ziplock bag. Maybe enough to pay for the rebuild. Not my cup of tea. Client was pleased to get it back, and no problem getting paid for the repairs.

13. A couple years ago I was restoring a 1976 Univox ub250, with the front mounted speaker. I took out the screws and tried to lift out the speaker but it wouldn't move. After working with it for awhile I was able to see that the problem was that some kind of insects had built a nest from the magnet of the speaker to the back. It was a multi- level affair and had taken awhile to build no doubt. There wasn't any sign of dead insects inside. When I washed it out, the water turned this nest into a foul substance that smelled akin to a petri dish experiment gone horribly wrong. Equipment (45).

Munjibunga, BassShark, ICM and 7 others like this.
  14. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    If that nest hadn't been deserted your restoration would have gone much less smoothly.

laughing house, walldaja, ICM and 7 others like this.
  15. In my 410 I found a hotel-sized shampoo from a Disney resort w/Mickey Mouse on the label. Was wedged between the cone and frame of one of the drivers.
    Talked to my best friend, the former owner of the cab, and he had zero clue as to when or how this could have happened when he owned it.
    We were both pissed that something dumb was affecting his tone for years, since I was his soundman.

16. Wasps of some kind?

17. SBsoundguy

SBsoundguy

Sep 2, 2011
    Los Angeles
    A VHS of Planet of the Babes I hadn't seen in over a dozen years.

Timmah and Matthew_84 like this.
  18. Crap stuck in there has been found to be the source of many a nervous TB enquiry when all the responses were ''blown driver''.

19. lowphatbass

lowphatbass **** Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    Yep.

20. I was hoping for an epic hornet story. We don't have anything as nasty here and the form of the nest isn't quite like our ''German'' invaders.