Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Ken Lawrence on eBay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lokire, Jun 19, 2005.

1. Hey,

Was just browsing ebay today and came across this one:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4713&item=7329976717&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

It looks like an older Ken Lawrence to me, judging by the wear anyways. Plus its got Smith pickups, and I'm not sure what that bar by the bridge is. Possibly Piezo? I sent a question asking about the serial number as well, so we can see how old it is.

It's at a good price too, so I thought some TBers might be interesting. :bassist:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Looks sweet and DAMN cheap for a KL, almost close to my price range, too bad I'm not in the market.

the main thing that makes me think this is an older piece is it looks like the bridge was made by cutting one position off of a couple of 4 string bidges and putting them together...

[​IMG]

3. Hman

Hman

Jan 8, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Looks like Mr. Basstaster got it!!! :eek: :D

4. Wow - you're right. I didn't even notice it was about to end. Glad it's going to a good home - part of the TB family :)

I'm sure he'll give us a good review once he gets it :D

Looking closer - it does look like the bridge was made by cutting two smaller bridges and putting them together. And I think Ken Smith was one of the few high end makers of 6-string basses back then. And about the only one who made them with a wide string spacing. That might explain the Smith pickups. I think Ken's been building basses for over 20 years now anyways.

5. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    I thought that User ID looked familiar!
    can't wait to hear the impressions, I REALLY like the overall styling of that (and most all of Ken's).

6. It looks simmilar to his current "Unity" style body, but a bit longer. Actually it really reminds me of the shape of a Knuckle bass