Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Lakland 44-02 Comment

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 4, 2005.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just read this about a Lakland 44-02 that's for sale. One of the reasons I have not gone after a 44-02, is that I have read it does not cut through well in a live setting.

I play rock (classic to modern) and have always liked the way these basses looked and played. But, I have never played one of these live.

Perhaps those who have commented on the bass not cutting through, did not use the adjustable mids as mentioned above?

Any thoughts?

2. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Not cutting thru a mix? I've mostly heard/read the opposite. I haven't played it live yet, but in full rehearsal, my 55-02 had no problems at all. I loved it. Can't wait to gig with it next month.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    I was going by a few of the comments at Harmony Central's review section. I did not know the 44-02 had adjustable mid controls in the control cavity. I was thinking 44-02 might not be able to get an aggressive tone from the Bart pups, but the adjustable mids might give them some more grind.

Has anyone ever messed with their Bart preamp settings inside the control cavity?

4. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I messed with the dip switches on my 55-02 Deluxe and ended up leaving it at the original factory default setting (250 ?). As far as cutting through, this bass sounds great in all settings, but what really sets it apart is it's definition even at low volumes.

We play some extremely quiet "cocktail" sets at the begining of many Corporate gigs, and the first night I used this bass the band leader commented it was the first time he could hear every single note from the bass guitar in such a low volume setting. He said "bring that bass to all our gigs".

5. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    STRANGE! Do some thread searching here, and (IMHO), you'll find some more "accurate" info. :)

Yes it does, but while this is true, it's not like a full mid sweep, so it's somewhat subtle. It goes 250, 500 (factory default), 750, 850. Like PhatBasstard, I've played with it, but it's now back to the 500Hz default, and I find myself rarely using much of it.

6. Vic

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Actually, it's 500Hz.

+1 now that you mention it, I did notice this, too.

7. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Oops.:p I was too lazy to dig out the sheet with the settings on it and couldn't remember what it was.:)