Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Lakland.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Dec 15, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Has anyone else seen this, and if so, what's the story? I like it so far.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Amazing bass! It almost looks like a Fender '75 Reissue that was made for the European market :rolleyes:

Guess this is a copy of a reissue, which in itself is a copy?

3. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    That's the prototype Lakland Darryl Jones Signature bass slotted for production next year. It's based on Darryl's "A Bass" model with block inlays, Aero pickups and a slightly modified J body shape.

Darryl is currently using two on tour with The Stones.

More info here:

Dude's Lakland Forum

Here's a pic of Darryl's two he's playing before the electronics were installed:

[​IMG]

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    WOW!!!

5. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I'm also working on a custom J-Retro preamp for these as we speak...slightly curved control plate on these but the J-Retro with the Aero's will rock!

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Oh and I'm trying to talk Dan into also offering these with maple boards...we'll see.

7. That's really cool. I always liked the A-basses, but these are even nicer. Dig that body shape.

8. VJP

VJP Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2001
    NJ
    So, let's see now: It's Laklands Darry Jones Signature, which is based on Darryls A Bass, which is based on Fenders J Bass. I don't think there are enough signature basses out there based on basses from an earlier bass era.

9. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    LOL...that's 100% correct....but we'd all be playing '51 P-Basses if no design was ever copied and improved upon huh?

10. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Dude, thanks for the info. Good lord, those are sweet. I wonder if he'll offer a Skyline version.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    These are Skylines...no plans for a USA version at this point that I've been told about. I've been told that they'll be offered with your choice of Lindy Fralins or Aeros...waiting on more detailed specs at this point. I'm sure the blue one will be at NAMM next month.

12. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Any idea on price and whether he'll offer a 5?

13. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Retail pricing is expected to be in the $1,499 to $1,599 price range which would equate to a $1,049 to $1,119 "street price". This is not firm yet but I'd say it's 95% sure to be in that price range.

No talk of a 5 string version.

14. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Anyone know if there will be a Skyline version of this model? with Maple neck and block inlays, and J-Retro? That would be so sweet!!!!!

15. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Found the answer to my question above! Please slap the dumbass! (me)

16. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    As I said above the Darryl Jones Signature is going to be a Skyline model and NOT a USA.

There was some talk of Lakland offering factory J-Retro's but that was later put on hold.

I am a Lakland dealer and will be ordering them and retrofitting them with J-Retros for a $250 upcharge.

17. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I will also cooperate with a few other Lakland dealers like Gard and Adrian on the J-Retro upgrade if they're intersted. I'm waiting on a control plate and body route dimensions from Dan Lakin in order to have John East make the custom units.

Most likely what will need to be done is coming up with a custom U-Retro with short pot shafts (after making sure there's enough clearance in the cavity) and installing the preamps in the stock control plate and drilling two small holes for the mini-toggle switches.

J-Retro's will not be a Lakland factory option.

18. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    WOW. that is a sweet Jazz.. Gives me G.A.S...

19. I think I've just found my next bass

20. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    This info just in from Dan:

Colors in first production run - due in March or April. LPB, CAR, Black Pearl, White Pearl, Natural. Maple necks with pearl blocks will be an option(Standard on the Naturals).

We will be doing a US version later in 2003.

Aero's are the stock pickups. I will do Lindy's as a special order. Pricing will be right around $1500.