1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting Markbass discovery

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Sep 14, 2008.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Everyone who has their effects loop still in parallel, hook a cable straight from the send to the return.

I found that it opened up the amp more and seemingly gave me more headroom. There is definitely a change occuring. Weird...

2. TFunkadelic

TFunkadelic

Apr 9, 2006
    Uh oh, break out the double blinds...

3. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Sounds like there was poor contact at the send jack.

Have you tried removing that jumper cable to see if there's any difference?

4. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    That's why I'm posting there is a very noticeable difference in the amp when the cable is plugged between the send and return. A very good difference.

5. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

Sounds like we need some more MB users to verify the improvement or declare a problem with your amp.

6. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Agreed.

7. I just tried this (very quickly) and noticed it seemed a little louder.

ETA: This kind of makes sense for a parallel effects loop. Also, the effects send is before the eq. The LMII has internal jumpers to change the effect loop to be serial. I don't think there's anything wrong with your amp. It doesn't seem that weird to me. :)

8. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Tonally, the amp seems more alive, but it could just be the M-F curve. With an 8 ohm cabinet, I max out at noon on the master volume. With the cable engaged, I was crazy loud at this volume, but not clipping any sooner than without.

9. The input gain and clip light are before the effects send and return.

10. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    Blinds are not in style now and two blind guys couldn't see them anyway.:)

11. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Ok, I did find that with the loop engaged it was easier to clip and so I turned the gain back slightly. Without the cable in, turning the gain up more resulted in almost the same tone with the cable in and the gain lower.
    I think the loop was designed to run a little hotter in order to interface with line level gear.

12. Bingo!!

I bet you are adding some gain in the signal chain via the loop.