Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting NASA article on the 12/26 Earthquake

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mark beem, Jan 11, 2005.

1. I had no idea that earthquakes actually affected any of that. Pretty interesting if you think of the long run changes that an earthquake can have. Slight variations here and there can make a huge difference after a while.

2. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    I've always been interested (and still am actively involved) in astronomy.

It's an interesting article. It really makes you stop and think how some things that seem so insignificant can somehow have a major impact on other things.

While it certainly will go by relatively unnoticed by most, it's something that, when taken in the context of how our earth is related to all things in space, how much of an effect it can have.

From an astronomer's perspective it can be a big deal, especially with regards to photoimaging space and having to to have precise alignments in order to successfully accomplish that. Anyone who has tried to do astrophotography (either by film, digital, or CCD) knows that even the smallest of errors in alignment can have a major effect on the outcome.

It would be interesting to see what effect, if any, something like that could have on weather patterns.

3. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I grew up about 15 minutes from JPL and Cal Tech. My best friends dad worked at JPL.

No he wasn't a scientist, he was an electrician / maintenance guy but I remember going to JPL with him for different things / events with my friend and his dad.

Some of the research personnel there were so smart, they were weird beyond belief almost a "freaky" kinda weird. I don't mean everyone was freaky just some of the "rocket science" types.

Kinda reminded me of homeless people. You know, dressed weird, did not shower, smelled like hell. Sometimes they did not leave the place for weeks.

Just thought I would share that with all of you. Now talk amongst yourselves.

4. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    that was interseting. I need to become more oblate.

5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

As the earth becomes less oblate.

6. That article is wild. Thanks, Mark. :)

BTW, oblate is the way most people pronounce, "of late," when they have a bad head cold. :rolleyes:

Mike :D