Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

interesting night...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Jul 22, 2002.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    ...and brendan would agree with me on this one, too...

he called me up at 3 or so to tell me his band is playing and whathaveyou. i hang out with my guitar player to work on some of our band's stuff before i go. i swung by my house to drop off my bass and mini amp and pick up some cash (turns out i only did the latter! :oops: ).

i met up with his band at brendan's driveway, and eventually we were off. i had to follow, which i hate doing. it took all of 5 or 6 minutes to reinforce my hatred of this procedure: the leading truck made its way through a yellow light, forcing the next car to gun through a red, and made me stop (brendan's van was behind me). they stopped less than a mile ahead, but i was worried the whole time.

when we arrived at the venue, brendan asked if i had any cords. i then realized that i left my bass in the car. i let him borrow my cord, on the condition that he would treat it fairly or suffer the consequences (essentially in those words!).

the cord was a 15 footer, which didn't allow brendan all the maneuverability he wanted. the cord was yanked from the instrument at one point. at another, the cord was yanked from the amp.

shortly thereafter, brendan just hit the ground.

i thought he was fooling around for whatever reason. he may have been angry or whatever. when he didn't get up after that song (and their set), that's when we got nervous.

well, not too nervous to make a few jokes:
    "hey brendan, if you don't want me to steal your eden rig, say 'no'. i'll take that as a 'yes'." (at this point, i thought he was faking it).

a big crowd went around him. kyle, his drummer, responded with "pay five dollars to see him!"
    brendan's brother: "10 to poke him!"

then we checked to see if his eyes would respond to me snapping my fingers by the side of his face...nothing.

someone called an ambulance then.

brendan can tell ya what happened after this point.

when my guitar player and i were headed out, we made it all the way to this spot called "confusion corner." when i was making my way around the circular path, a car collided with mine. i was in total friggin shock. i couldn't believe it happened to me, ya know. well, i felt like i would get in an accident eventually, but when it happened, it was still unbelievable.

she called the cops and did the most talking when they arrived. the cop took her side without reexamining the scene of the incident (which later turned out to be a big mistake on his part).

we went through the whole license and registration bit. he let the woman go after a bit, as he thought that it was my fault for the collision (accidents are coincidental, collisions are preventable). he even went so far as to write me a ticket. he didn't know exactly what to say was my offense, so he called another officer and explained the situation...

this new officer said that it was HER fault. he went down to the scene of the crime (as it were) to make sure. sure enough, it was her fault for not yielding to me (which makes sense).

it's just that i was going on gut instinct while driving, and i wasn't 100 percent sure after the accident whether i knew if i was right or wrong.

well, eventually this whole incident will be taken care of.

but for that hour or so that i thought i was in deep ****...man...

it felt like my life was ruined, ya know? it felt like when i broke my collar bone three years ago...

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Dude! Sorry to hear about your accident....

But, is Brendan ok???????? :eek: :(

...by the way, I know all about "confusion corner", had many near-misses there when I lived down your way. Never could figure out why they didn't change that thing?

Still....Brendan....what the heck happened??????

3. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    What he said!

4. Brendan mentioned last night that he was feeling really sick. He probably fainted from exhaustion.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Aight, I'll set it straight:

I have some sort of neurological disporder. It entails me going out like a light, with little to no motor response, but no immediate danger to myself or others. Bascially, I go catatonic. It happens everyonce in a while, about 6 months or more between episodes. I've seen neurologists, and had the full battery, and they can't find anything wrong, so I'm not medicated and don't even say I have it on any transcriptions. It's a combination of stress, physical exertion, and a general mental state. It's happened during wresting, football, the middle of school, it's pretty random. I mean, I've ran three miles in august and not had anything happen, so it's not just physical exertion.

I just feel like an ass that it happened at the show. That was a fairly big show, about 150 people. So I felt bad when I looked up at the ceiling and saw the lights on...they took me to hospital, because I'm a minor, and I have no choice in the matter...at which time I refused treatment, and went back to the show.

It's nothing, really...and it never occurs to me to tell people, because it's so uncommon. It's nothing. Really. And if you ask me "Is it XXX?" No. It was a full battery at the best neuro unit in the northwest. Not epilepsy, migranes, or crib death. Yes, I've been fully tested, and it's nothing. I can usually tell about 6 or more hours beforehand, but I was sick, so the signal didn't get through. So driving's not an issue, and you won't find it on any records. I'm fine, really.

Good show though.

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Oh, and Gard, you told me about a 95% chance my Monster cable would get there in time...well, guess what 5% I fell in?

Brad, you missed it! Later, when Autumn Offering was playing the bass player dropped his bass, and started moshing with the crowd, and he accidentally balled into a guy...it happens in the pit, y'know? The guy flipped out, and started slamming his head on the floor, and FIGHTING. About Twenty people seperated the two, and the agressor ("Static X" was all that anyone called him on account of his shirt) started throwing fists. The bass player, Sean, unplugged a mic, and was gonna use it as a loaded fist, but three people held him back. About three people were screaming at Static X "Why would he want to? He doesn't know you, ect." right? Well, finally, they kicked out Static X (who was yelling "I'm gonna MFing kill you, you MFer!" ect), and the band felt really bad because that's never happened at a show before...IME either, for that matter. So it was a hectic night all around.

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Good lord!

8. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    Good to hear your ok!

9. damn, that sounds bad...

10. PunkerTrav

PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Of all the times for it to kick in, it had to be during a big show.
    Glad you're ok, though.

Travis

11. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    HOLY ****!

on one hand, i'm glad i left early. on the other, i got into an accident...although there are thousands (if not more) who are accident-bait at that place during any time in the day (probably more frequent later at night, too...).

the more that i think about it, the more i hope that the woman driver wasn't trying to exploit me:

i think it's pretty obvious now from the location of the damage whose fault it was-

her car: paint damage on the front nose of the car (passanger side). just a little, concentrated area.
    mine: passanger's side...side. long streaks.

there were also not one, but TWO yield signs and a stop sign at her location, none on mine...

i was so close to being figuratively raped with the car insurance because of this, too. it makes me so angry.

(in case you were wondering, i left after brendan regained consciousness. he and his brother said that everything was fine, so i just left as i wanted to get home early. :rolleyes: :mad: )

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    yeah, I'm soooo glad you were concerned for my well being enough to try to steal my rig....:mad:

;):D

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Good old UPS....sheesh, sorry it didn't make it quicker man. Usually stuff anywhere "down-state" is there overnight, especially smaller stuff like cables and strings. But, count on 'em to sniff it out when the situation is time-sensitive! :p

By the way, I'm glad you're ok! :D

...that stuff don't happen when you're driving does it???? :eek: Do you at least get some kind of warning before it happens, or is it something that blind-sides you?

Brad, I always avoided that damn part of Stuart, that's the dumbest street design I've ever come across. Glad the situation worked out the right way, and no harm came to you.

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX

15. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    heh heh, if any harm came to anyone in the car, it would've been the guitar player! :D

oh, brendan, i checked my cable:

you roughed it up pretty good, there. there's a little tear in the plastic near the base of the plug on one end...

well, i was starting to want a new cord or two anyway.:rolleyes: :D

looking at the damage done to my car...it's not bad at all. just a little paint scrapes. i should get a free evaluation by one of the numerous car repair shops around town (elderlies and damned teens make for quite interesting drivers...)....well i SHOULD... :D

that's fairly accurate. too bad that stuart has all of the nice venues...
    :mad:

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Sorry man! Didn't mean to! Probably from feeding it up through the strap...

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Ah....didn't catch that the first time through....GOOD! (Your driving is scary enough when you're conscious! ;) :p)

Sounds right...ah the wonders of urban planning...:rolleyes:

18. Brad Barker

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    "Sorry man! Didn't mean to! Probably from feeding it up through the strap..." said Brendan.

To which, Brad responded, "But Brendan, I feed it through my strap, too! ...things that make ya go 'hmm...' But it's still in good working order, so no biggie."

"...(Your driving is scary enough when you're conscious!)" Gard joked, and I concurred. But then the obvious hit me: who was in the accident that night?
    :eek: :D

so i talked to the insurance people about 30 minutes ago...god, such a big ****ing deal for such a minor incident.

what makes things MORE complicated is how that officer ****ed up in the first place and allowed the driver actually responsible drive off thinking that i'm about to pay for everything. she called my insurance people this morning and they talked to me, but i set my insurance company straight. now i have to get my dad to talk to at least one insurance company, but that's not gonna be 'till he gets home in a few hours...
    i'll also probably have to get an estimate on how much damage was done and how much to repair it. and then there's the option of opting for a rental car (although i probably won't need one) during the time it takes for the repair.
    and the police report won't be done until at least next monday (5-8 working days since monday...)

AAARGGHHHH!

:mad: