1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting OD Realization

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Rev J, Mar 4, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rev J

Rev J

Jun 14, 2012
    Berkeley, Ca.
    I'm currently using an Ashdown LoMenzo Hyperdrive fuzz. For those who don't know how it works the pedal filters out the mids and distorts them and they can be mixed back in. I usually run the drive all the way up with the mix so that it's just noticeable.

Lately I've been listening to a lot of instrumental Hip Hop like J Dilla, and Flying Lotus for inspiration and watching beat making tutorials in their styles. One of the things that Dilla used to do is run his bass lines through I believe a harmonic exciter to get some mids to jump out a little and make the bass more audible in his mixes.

I just realized that that is how I am using the Hyperdrive.

C/S,
    Rev J

2. GentProvocateur

GentProvocateur Supporting Member

I've done something similar before, and currently split my signal into lows and highs, distort them separately, then mix them back together, but I wish there were more options for exciters out there, especially ones where you can excite a user-selectable range of frequencies rather than just highs or lows