Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting pre amp into head question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by timidbassist, Feb 2, 2005.

1. How exactly could i hook up a pre amp to my Carvin R 1000? It says it has "Stereo Return Jacks" and goes on to say that it can be used for hooking external devices to the internal power amp. The R1000 has 2 power amps and has two of the "Stereo Return Jacks" so i dont know exactly how that would work. Would the signal go into the head and use the power amp and come out of your setup bypassing the carvin preamp? I would like to be able to hook up a rack Sansamp but also be able to switch from it to my Carvin clean channel. Is this possible?
    Thanks alot in advance,
    Dave

2. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    lots of people do this

i'm not familiar with the head in question but it's all the same in the end.

the easiest thing to do is if your amp has a mono effects return jack or mono poweramp in jack you can plug the output of the external preamp ino there (that will bypass the preamp of the head)

if you only have stereo effects return jacks or stereo power amp in jacks on the head you will have to run a line into both of them from the preamp, using a "y cord" if your preamp only has one output, or if your preamp has two outputs, using 2 cords. this will also bypass the preamp of the head

to switch from carvin to sans amp quickly you need to have a mono effects return jack. you would need to use an a/b box from the effetcs send of the carvin and preamp out of the sans amp into the effects return of the carvin. or, if the carvin has an effects "blend knob" you could run the sans amp into the effects return. turning the blend fully dry would be just carvin, fully wet would be sans amp.

of course then you need to be able to run into both preamps at once. easiest way to do this is to run from your bass into the carvin's front input, and from the carvin's tuner out (hopefully it has one) into the front input of the sans amp.

3. Awesome, that info is very helpful. Thanks alot!