Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by McHack, Sep 18, 2003.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    OK, I've got an Ampeg BA115SP. If/When I want more power, is it feasible to run the pre-amp of this combo straight to a power amp,, so I don't need a pre & power amp?

OR, is this idea retarded?

2. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    If it's got a preamp out jack, no problem. A lot of amps have them, especially the higher quality ones. That is exactly what preamp outs are made for.

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Either a preamp out, or you could possibly use the effect send if it has one of those.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I looked at the manual and I'm not sure if the "line out" volume is adjusted by the master volume control. if it does and you could use it for a preamp, but it does sound a little silly seeing that the amp weighs 62 Lbs. Thats a heavy preamp. an XLR line out like you have is generally a full volume output used for the mixing board, full volume meaning it doesn't fluctuate in volume if you adjust the ba115sp's volume so with a power amp it would be cranked all the time. and your line out might not include the effects. line outs are usually pre tone controls and effects.

sorry. slim chance you could use the headphone out, but that might shut off internal speaker also.

5. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, sounds weird, just trying to consider options for increasing power output w/o going whole-hogg.

6. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you sell it you can get a lighter preamp like the Tech21 RBI!

just an idea...

7. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Yea, I could. The BA115 is my practice amp, & I do like it. Wasn't really looking for a way to replace it, just pump it up if/when I need to.

Was just looking at the PDF owners manual from the Ampeg site, seems the XLR out is post-EQ. It even mentions thats what its for in the verbage.
    So, I should be able to run that to a power amp & stack no problem.

YAAAAY!