Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Review of my new Stage 1 5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Sep 9, 2002.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As you know, it was kind of a letdown unzipping the gig bag, inhaling deeply to take in that "new bass smell", and admiring the flame job on the maple only to see..... :eek: MEC'S?! ***?! :mad:
    Instead of immediately calling up the guys at Warwick, I decided to use it for about 90% of the recording that I'm doing for these next 2 weeks, and keep an open mind about everything. Four days into the sessions, here's what I found: The first thing I noticed, besides the lighter weight, is that this one has more "growl" than my beloved '97, and the lowend presence was VERY good as well. As for the highs, well, they're just as good too. I called up Dale Titus and told him what I felt, and he told me the following: Warwick no longer uses Basslines in their basses.
    I figured that if they stopped, there had to be a good reason. There is. He went on to tell me that about 4 years ago, for the Stage 1's, Warwick designed a new MEC system that is, for lack of a better word, an exact copy of the Basslines system. I have to admit, it's a good sounding bass. I'm keeping it stock..............for now! *que evil genius laugh*

2. Plucky

Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    Underwater
    meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee waaaaaaaaaaaants piiiiiiiiiiiiiccccccctuuuress.........

pleeeeeeeeeeeease

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Here ya' go.

[​IMG]

EDIT(JT): just added the img code so that your pic would come up with your post :) nice bass woodchuck.

4. that's a beauty, Woodchuck. Hope it sounds as good as it looks!

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    again...i REALLY like MEC pickups.

the preamp i think is a little muddy and noisy and unreliable, but all in all a decent preamp.

too bad i've got a 6 string warwick fretless (muahahah) on its way soon...but if that falls thru i just might try throwing a U-retro into my ss2.

it's good to hear someone taking an objective listen to the MEC's. lots of time people just assume they're crap cos they're not basslines or EMG's like they used to be.

6. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    Tommy Likey...are you going to bring that piece to the GTG next weekend?

7. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    JT: You're a credit to your kind. (7+ stringers!) :p

8. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc

hey, man...i finally got permission from the wifey to but a bid down on that bass, but when i saw that you had the high bid, i changed my mind ;) i hope you win it, man...looks like it would be a sweet bass...

9. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    You guys too? I saw that bass, and oh dude, I want it. Then the same thing happend, I saw it was him and I said I'd let him have it. As long as it stays on TB, I'll be happy.

Anyways, theres this Warwick Corv. Proline 5 fretless on ebay thats got my eye as well. Maybe thatll be mine... hmmm. :D

10. xush

xush

Jul 4, 2001
    mobile AL
    I like the MEC's on my Infinity...

11. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    whoa! i love you guys ;)

i'll let you know if it gets any higher and i decide to bail.

12. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    Hey Woody, congrats on the new bass I have a few questions though. What are the differences between the SSI and the SSII, besides the body wood?

Nakoa

13. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Woody... glad to see you were pleasantly surprised.. shes pretty too :D.

p.s I think the post office lost that CD you sent... oh well.

14. Hey...how's that Infinity? Where would you place it's style, tone wise?

15. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Nakoa: The Stage 2 has a better lowend, because of the harder afzelia wood, but IMO, the Stage 1 has a much better midrange "growl" and snappier highs, due the maple body. And, as you know probably already know, the Stage1 has a wider neck and a lighter body than the Stage2.

16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk

Oct 10, 2001
    Virginia
    That's a beautiful bass. I love the MECs in my Thumb 4.

17. AndyMan

AndyMan Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 17, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    http://myplaceproductionsllc.com/
    Hey Woodchuck--

Got any sound clips on your web page of the SSI???

Andy