Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Roscoe on the bay...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassthumpa, Mar 18, 2006.

1. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Check out this SKB-3007 on the bay. It's interesting enough becase I haven't seen that recipe on a Roscoe before, but what got my attention was the custom inlay and abbreviated Roscoe logo on the headstock.

Here are Gard's notes to the seller:
    That particular SKB 3007 was completed in August of 1999, sold originally to Bass Alone (they did the headstock inlay and wood control cavity covers). It has a cocobolo top, Spanish Cedar body, Ebony fingerboard, Ivory nut, Bartolini 3-band EQ. The original retail price of the bass would have been $3680, the retail for the same price now would be $4510.​

I wonder what the story is behind that inlay. In the meantime, let's just drool. :smug:

2. That is sweet. I love the wood control cavity covers and inlay.

Im with you on the drooling. Might have to get a rag here soon.

3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    COOL! Gard is a general manager. I wonder if his next gig is going to be GM of the Yankees. :D

-Mike

4. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I saw that yesterday- the sapwood made me do a doubletake, as I thought it was a neck-through blank showing at first. It's like the Ken Smith of Roscoes :D

Also, has anyone else notice that there are TONS of used SKB006 and SKB007s on the TalkBass classifieds, eBay, and Bassgear.com lately?

5. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Yeah, it's pretty wild. I guess it's Roscoe season.

6. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Hey, hey , hey! There are two fretted SKB-3006 and one fretless SKB-3006s. That's all.

But I know which one is the best!:smug:

BTW: That 3007 on the bay is pretty cool.

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    No, there's several more. Tritone's Roscoe 7, a black Roscoe 7, more Roscoe 6s (including a lined fretless), etc.

8. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

I guess I stand corrected. But I was talking about 3006s only.

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Cool bass! I really like the wood access covers! I'm not too crazy about the cocobolo top. A bit to dark and not much happening with the grain.......

I hear what you're saying about a flood of Roscoe 3006's & 7's. It never fails, if you're looking for one, they're never available. If you're not looking for one, they show up every where!

10. And about that lined fretless....SKB3006...

Has an incredible "buy it now" price, and a 5-pot electronics set up - has to be a "customized elsewhere" piece, since Gard has said the cavity isn't large enough for that kind of electronic set up.

If I was in the fretless market, this would be deal!

11. If I remember right, the Cocobolo top 7 string had it's inlays done at Bass Alone. I remember it on the web site a ways back. Another wierd thing about Cocobolo is that on early Roscoes ( like my neckthru #3133) Brazilian Rosewood was a standard option, and Cocobolo was a $50 upgrade.

12. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The next time a fretted five pops up, it's mine.

-Mike

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Naw...I couldn't work for Steinbrenner, he's a putz. :spit:

Keith is a much cooler guy! :)

(General manager refers to "he manages all the BS that isn't actually MAKIN' the basses..." :help: )

14. Did that one belong to Boogiebass? Looks like his old Roscoe.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yup, that's my old Roscoe 7. I bought it new. It was in beautiful shape when I sold it and it looks like it still is. Nice bass.

16. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    I don't know Gard.........:meh: :meh: :meh: Keith could be Steinbrenner and you could be George Costanza!:D :bag:

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Not possible, I'm 6'2", have all my hair, prefer to actually accomplish SOMETHING, and can't tolerate jerks as bosses.

:spit:

:D

18. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Well other than that, there are some simularites!:D

Actually, you strike me as more of the "Outlaw Jose Wells" type.

"You a bounty hunter son?.......A man's got to do something for a living..............Dying ain't much of a living!":eek:

19. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Now, THAT is some funny stuff....

:D