Interesting story about Carol Kaye

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Jon Lars, Jan 2, 2020.

Tags:
  1. THE SAW

THE SAW

Sep 14, 2006
    I think she's on solid ground- such an obvious depiction demands her permission, and in my opinion, a fee.

Nothing but good things for me to say about Ms. Kaye-

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    Interesting that you bring this up, because we're watching season 3 right now. In one scene in a Miami club when Shy Baldwin is singing, there is Carole Keen playing electric bass while at the same time, there's a upright player playing behind her. As a bassist, I was shocked. That made no sense to have both, because you wouldn't be able to hear the upright over the electric.

fretter, TheMaynorD, Ekulati and 2 others like this.
  3. Mushroo

Mushroo Guest

Apr 2, 2007
    The show takes place in 1960, and Carol hadn't switched over from guitar to bass at that point. If they wanted to be historically correct, she should be on hollowbody jazz guitar, with another musician playing the upright bass.

fretter, HolmeBass, Ekulati and 2 others like this.
  4. viribus

viribus Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    If you saw a character on TV or in a movie who is obviously based on you but portrayed in a less than flattering or truthful way, you probably wouldn’t be very happy either.

5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

she's 84. she's a little cranky. big whup! :D

good move on her part to create a dust-up, however.

Low84, Dominic DeCosa and OldDog52 like this.
  6. woodyng2

woodyng2 Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Oregon Coast
    Well, it seems rather obvious Kaye’s approval/permission wasn’t requested,so I don’t blame her for being riled. (Although i do enjoy the show, and thought the characterization was mostly positive.)
    Kaye might’ve objected to some of the dialogue about one night stands/road rules....

7. No, you don't need someone's permission to base a fictional character on them. Carole Kaye may consider it "slander" but she didn't say she was going to sue, which is good, because she would have no case.

tindrum, SteveC, lfmn16 and 5 others like this.
  8. Brad Maestas

Brad Maestas Sono est omnia Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Nov 26, 2003
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Luthier at Kala Brand Music Co.
  9. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    Carol Kaye reminds me of my mother.
    Whether you like it or not, you will hear her opinion and she will tell it how she sees it, politically correct or not.
    My mom's a little older but I kind of like Carol Kaye for that. She's direct and frank.
    We let some men tell terrible things so why not reciprocate? Further more what Carol says can be a little outrageous at times but never terrible. Edgy is how I would frame it.
    All that does not take away the fact that she is a trailblazer, a pioneer and a marvelous musician.
    And yes she does not keep her opinions to herself.

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
  10. Polk Salad

Polk Salad Passenger, Ship of Fools Supporting Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Every story regarding Carol has a level of interesting.

11. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Yep. She's a legend. Yep. She made history for both women and music in general. Yep. She's ridiculously talented. Yep. She was a consummate pro. I get it.

But I am so bored with the chip on her shoulder. Famous people get "picked on" and shown in a bad light in movies and TV all the time. Most handle it with class.

I used to hold her up on a very high pedestal. Now I simply roll my eyes at the very mention of her name. Bitter much?

Teach your lessons. Sell videos and books to your legions of rabid disciples. Accept awards and honorary degrees. Do interviews. Sign autographs. Enjoy your success and freaking RELAX! Oy!

It doesn't even matter to me at this point if some of her gripes and pissing and moaning is "justified". To be sure ALL of it can't be.

She's either really tough (as she claims) or ridiculously thin skinned. But you can't be both.

Yawn....

tindrum, FilterFunk, Afc70 and 14 others like this.
  12. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    What's more interesting is she starts out playing lefty and then as the show goes on she's playing righty. Now that's some talent right there. Ha!

Randall, MonetBass and DJ Bebop like this.
  13. TemplesOfSyrinx

TemplesOfSyrinx

Sep 8, 2013
    Florida
    Always loved Carol Kaye's work. Right up there with James Jamerson in my book. Just wish Jamerson was still with us too. He was a year younger.

The soundtrack of my youth, along with McCartney, John Paul Jones, Squire and Geddy.

14. WillyW

WillyW l’art pour l’art, fonction de baise

Dec 10, 2019
    Mel Brooks wrote a check to Heddy Lamar.

no class in hollywood anymore.

Dave3, Mechanical, yodedude2 and 2 others like this.
  15. DrThumpenstein

DrThumpenstein Living for the groove Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2015
    St Louis, MO
    Yeah, that Carol Keen is the Inigo Montoya of bassists!

16. okcrum

okcrum in your chest

Oct 5, 2009
    Verde Valley, AZ
    RIP Dark Horse strings
    That was a fairly common thing in studio tracking (DB + EB + Bass VI sometimes), at least in LA and Nashville, but not live. Clearly the script writers watched youtube vids of the Beach Boys' studio sessions.

Actual facts are uncommon in TV and film productions, same as it ever was. Stories are too boring...

17. That has nothing to do with class. Her lawsuit was BS but the studio gave her a small settlement just to make it go away. Brooks' revenge was to add that great line to the script, "This is 1874! You'll be able to sue her!"

yodedude2, b-bottom and DJ Bebop like this.
  18. BurtMacklinFBI

BurtMacklinFBI Degen from Up-Country

Apr 3, 2018
    Is there another source besides this one? The New York Post is a tabloid, I wouldn't take anything they publish too seriously without another corroborating source.

lowdownthump, MattZilla and Craig4003 like this.
  19. CGramazio

CGramazio www.freebassing.com Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2011
    Gilbert, AZ
    She knows something we don’t know.

DrThumpenstein and DJ Bebop like this.
  20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 22, 2022