1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Interesting...T-Bird replacement?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Mofo-Kang, Feb 22, 2008.

1. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    If I've got my numbers right, these pickups are very close to the Epiphone T-Bird's in size.

http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/pickup34.htm

Though I'm hesitant to buy an artec pickup after reading the thread Lunarpollen started about his mudbucker from them. Still, it might be worth a try. I've been looking at getting an Epiphone Goth or Blackbird version of the T-Bird and modding the hell out of it. :)

2. jim primate

jim primate bass guitarist.

they do look better than the black plastic epi pickups.

if they don't sound great a rewind would probably help. i mean they already have AlNiCo5 rods, which are good pickup magnets.

3. I'd be inclined to give them a try - I've used one Artec 'P' pup which, for the cash involved was pretty decent, and I've used several GFS guitar pickups which I'm pretty sure are Artec and they have been great.

4. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I wonder if they're a step up in quality from the standard Epiphone pickups? Probably not much different either way, I suppose.

5. Hi, Mofo-Kang.

I was eyeballing those pickups right at the beginning of the Lunarpollens mudbucker thread, but as I won't buy them anyway, I left it at that.

They do look decent, but plastic cover + epoxy doesn't forgive anything. If the pickup is crap, it flies to the bin, usually no way to salvage anything.

I haven't found anything wrong with my Epi pickups, but then again I do have a Model One to beef (muddy ?) things up a bit.

Regards
    Sam

6. DavidRavenMoon

DavidRavenMoon Banned

Oct 20, 2004
    These are EMG-35 size. 3.5" X 1.5"

7. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA

Yeah, I think you posted a pic of your modded T-bird a while back. It's inspired me to try my hand at modding an Epi Goth T-Bird. If this works out okay, then I'll move up a bit in price/quality of pickups and maybe get a Gibson T-bird and Model One.

Maybe I'm getting ahead of myself, but I'm also thinking of going for a fairly complex wiring setup with the three-pickup Goth. I was thinking I'd keep the three knobs, but stack each to make each have a seperate volume/tone control. Then have a cutoff switch on each pickup, AND a second output (for the mudbucker). That way you could play with any combination of pickups, at any volume and tone, and if you wanted you could send the mudbucker's output to a seperate amp/speaker combo. Maybe instead of cutoff, it'd need a three-way switch (off/main output/second output). I'm sure I'll be back here posting (begging!) for help with that when it comes down to it. :) If it all works out like I'm hoping, then the Gibson T-Bird would be a pretty cool final project.

8. Mofo-Kang

Mofo-Kang

Aug 26, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Got the Goth T-bird delivered today. :) Now I'm waiting for the pickups to arrive. I don't think I have enough stacked pots, so I'll have to grab some of those, too.

For the finishing touch, I'm thinking maybe abalone pickguard and replacing the truss rod cover with a matching abalone one. :) But I think white pearloid would look nice with that flat black, too.

9. I still don't know what the issue is with my Rivoli, but I think it's just a wiring issue. In a couple months I'll probably send it out to be properly repaired....