1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting things at GC La Mesa.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Apr 23, 2006.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    So I caught a Janet over to 'Dago yesterday, and today I went over to GC La Mesa to give a practice CD to our new keyboard player. Of course, I had to go in and root around a little bit, and saw a couple interesting things.

In the bass room, there was a new Aguilar AG-500 sitting on a couple new Aguilar 410 cabs. How'd that happen?

Then I bopped on in to the pro audio room, and saw a bunch of EAW LA-series speaker cabs. What's happening here?

2. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Cool! I've always wanted to try Aguilar, I've heard good things.

3. "Caught a Janet?" Do they give women's names to the NCTA commuter trains, or is this some old fart reference that I'm 30 years too young to know?

4. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Janets are a mode of transportation to and from Groom Lake.

Here's some pics.

5. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    I almost bought that amp, it's SO tempting. As often as I'm in there, I may have even seen you...:)

6. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Been awhile since I've been to the La Mesa store. May have to go take a gander.

7. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That used to be my hang out before I moved. Dropped some cash on both Bass and Guitar equipment there.
    Brian in Guitars is real good people. He used to manage a store in Washington so he can cut some deals.

8. You've done your homework, old man, but you and I both know full well that you live either in or adjacent to a subdivision with streets named "Via Maria" and "Avenida de los Encinos."

That's a pretty pimped-out Guitar Center, though. The Sherman Oaks GC is, of course, an Unintentional Comedy Goldmine, which is why I never shop there. Nor shall we speak of the Hollywood GC.

9. I'm still pi$$ed about the EAW stuff. They aren't allowing it out of 100 region, which is LA and the surrounding countryside.

As for that Aguilar, did it have a red tag or a yellow tag? Cause I just checked and we ain't an Aguilar dealer yet.

Rock on
    Eric

10. How could you not recognize Munji? Maybe he wasn't wearing the trademark shades?

Randy

11. Daywalker

Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    SOCAL
    Are you talkin about Brian DeRoucher? Yeah, he's really cool. I don't even buy strings unless he's there...

You know, I think maybe I did see him then!:p

12. Does alien technology from Area 51 ever make it into the "Used" or "Consignment" section at that GC?

Randy

13. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    GC is an Aguilar dealer, but not every store carries them.

14. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Yes, that's who I'm talking about.

15. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Everyone knows I live in Del Mar when I'm not at Groom. I was at the Hollywood GC last week, looking at the $15,000 vintage POS Fenders.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    The aguilar stuff had regular new gear tags on it. It was new gear.

17. The great thing is that people actually buy them.

18. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    We stayed at a B&B in Santa Monica, grooved around in BH and Hollywood, had dinner in Westwood, lunch the next day down at the tourist zone in SM ... the Promenade or something. We even saw Venice Blvd, so we were on your turf, but I didn't sense any unusual smells.

There's a pretty decent guitar shop at 7th and SM Boulevard ... tons of effects and stuff. A couple nice Moduli. Speaking of which, we saw a red quilted Modulus at GC, and my wife thought it looked so cool, she would've bought it for me on the spot, but after the recent MTD, I thought I'd best cool my jets for a while.

Anyway, I could buy 3 halfways-decent basses for the price of one of those '64 Jazz Basses which are old and most likely sound pretty cruddy, like my '65 P that got stolen.

19. West L.A. Music, on Santa Monica Boulevard just west of the 405, is probably the best-known (and best) music store in this part of town. The prices aren't that great, though.

Venice Boulevard is delightfully grungy, end-to-end. I love it to death.