Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Tobias News.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Woodchuck, Feb 15, 2005.

1. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I just heard from a "friend on the inside" :ninja: that Gibson has been hearing the feedback about the Tobias line, and is planning to make sweeping changes. It appears that the final straw was some postings on a "bass forum" ( TB? :bassist: ). I was also told that jobs were lost, and some more "dismissals" will follow. Go fig. I guess it occurred to them that the lowend network is a damned good one! That, and you can't put flamed maple on a piece of crap and call it "highend". Maybe they'll get someone that actually CARES to run the shop now.

2. That's good to hear!

I still miss the days when the name Tobias stood for the quality of Michael Tobias' work.

3. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    MTD, think MTD

4. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Well, that's absolutly wonderful to hear, especially if TB in some way made it happen. I always thought as a collective 31,000 bassists we had a pretty strong voice. Any news of when the "sweeping changes" will be complete, and we can expect non-crap?

Ray

5. I know.....I just like the name Tobias better :p .

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    awesome! i'm glad BS had the balls to stand up for bass players around the world!

:)

7. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I feel this forum is the best feedback for any caring bass manufacturer/builder!

8. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Unfortunately Gibson has been running ALL of its brands into the ground. If they want to make changes, its just not in the Tobias department, its at the top of the entire organization.

Anything else is just lip service.

9. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Baby steps Eric, baby steps...

Ray

10. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    +1

And if our voices are helping to make changes in the industry, maybe we can get the prices down on all this nice gear out there we can't afford? :D

Jake

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah...and maybe the fine luthiers cost-of-living will decrease, as will their production costs.

I see that all happening real soon! :bag:

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    *sigh* ditto... I totally love my MTD, but around this town, MTD stands for Mass Transit District from way back, and I know people that work there, so that's totally stuck in my head.

Back on topic, that's cool. Especially if it means the Growlers start kickin' butt again. I love the config. Conveniently, I also know a Gibson dealer. :)

13. My father-in-law bought a brand new LP Deluxe with the mini-hums, and it came right from Gibson. He went to put straplock buttons on it and when he backed the screw out at the tail end, there was a blue plastic wall anchor in the body to hold the screw in. Shoddy!

14. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Wont he be able to get the Tobias name (if he so chooses) back in the future though?

Ray

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I have played two newer Tobias' and for the life of me I couldn't find no obvious construction flaws. And I was looking hard after all the bad stuff I had heard about them.

They played nicely and sounded thick, but the price was out of my range.

16. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I think Gibson should just drop the whole high-end Tobias thing. They can keep selling their MusicYo stuff (Not that they need my permission :D ).

I don't know why Gibson would want to compete in the high-end bass market with the name Tobias on the bass. I think most bass players that are going to spend that kind of money, know that they can get a "real" Tobias... ...An MTD built by Mr. Tobias himself!

17. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    If the quality was good, Id play 'em. My first "real" bass was a green Growler. One of the best basses I've ever had.

18. 31000?!?!?! :eek: :cool:

19. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    A number of non-bassists I know are hip enough to recognize the Tobias name, but not hip enough to know all of the gyrations Michael and the Tobias name have gone through.

Thus, my MTD 535 is referred to as "that sweet Tobias" in certain circles I run/play in.

I guess there is still some value in the Tobias brand name, despite what we "in-the-know," know about Gibson's stewardship of the name.

20. Deep

Deep

May 8, 2002
    NY
    That's good news. Yep, word gets around alot faster now with the forums. If something is great.....it gets around fast. If something is bad....ditto. This Forum and some others keeps these cats on their toes hopfully. There are thousands of potential customers here. It's a captive audience. So they should keep theirs eyes peeled in here.