Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting tonal experiment.....Flats on a Modulus Q5

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by DaveB, Apr 24, 2003.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    I've used Flats off and on for years, although it's been more off than on - haven't used them for a couple of years. Until a couple of months ago my electric bass life was totally Fender passives. So my experience with Flats has been fairly traditional P's and J's.

Now that I've had my amazing Q5 for a few weeks I decided to try it with Flats. Needless to say that is quite a departure from the standard Modulus sound. I ordered a set of TI Jazz Flats from www.juststrings and it seems they'll still be a week or two before I get them. Well, being impatient I went out and picked up the first set of Flat Fives (no jazz chord pun
    intended) that I came across. Turned out to be Dean Markleys. I am quite impressed what Flats do for the Q5.

These Markleys are a little darker (less bright) than TI's or D'Addario Chromes but that seems to work great on the Q5. My Q5 has a Chechen fingerboard and that seems to be a good match for the Flats.
    Modulus and Motown are not usually words you hear in the same sentence but it sure gets the Motown vibe now.

An even bigger surprise is the Jazz possibilities. I'm an upright player and generally I do not use electrics at all for Jazz Standards. I use a Fishman Pro-EQ Platinum Bass and when I put the compression at about 3 o'clock the Q5/Flats gave
    me the best electric bass Jazz tone I have ever had. No, it's still not an upright but pretty usable.

I wonder what the TI's will sound like on the Q5??

2. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    I believe it. I've been using Chomes on my Stingray5 and now it's got all kinds of finger style funk.