Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interesting Topics in American History

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Nov 23, 2004.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    For my AP US History class, i have to write a massive paper on basically any topic that relates to US History with a timeline from back to the beginning of colonization, to maybe 1999.

I think that it would be interesting to get some national international opinions on what are some of americas most interesting past times. Topics can include anything that has to do with american culture, politics, art.. well... anything american.

So, what do YOU think is interesting about americas past?

Slick

(any good ideas would be GREATLY appreciated, as i actually have to write this paper at some time or another, thanks)

2. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    How about:

"Untying the Low End: the Talkbass Story"

:D

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Racial Hate Groups...

From the KKK, to anti-white groups, etc...

I love that subject.

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX

:eyebrow:

brad cook

5. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The Blues would be fun to do, if you're so inclined. Going from the spirituals and work songs, to modern electric blues.

Gangs and crime in America is another cool one.

American humor.
    etc.

How massive is this paper going to be?

6. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    are you serious? because i was looking at that possibility as well. comparing and contrasting the second and third wave of white supremecists in the 20th century would be interesting, and studying the role of music therein would be kinda cool, but i worry about writing a solid paper on that subject, i am not sure that i would be able to, (i.e. make a good thesis statement)

slick

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Secret passages, pathways, and catacombs would be an interesting Euro history topic...

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I'm sure that helps.

brad cook

9. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    ...and if it doesn't?
    :confused:

10. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    There's no 'if'.

brad cook

11. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Smartass.

Anyway, asking for a good American History topic is like asking to pick a favorite child...

12. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    And it's unlike asking for a good Euro history topic.
    :spit:

brad cook

13. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Yeah, I'd be certain slick will see that as a major setback.

14. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Vietnam, or... the Hippies.

Hell, just look up 1969.

15. You know, if the criteria is:
    Following slavery to the KKK to present isn't too bad of an idea. There's not a heck of a lot of stuff that stays present in America, and racial fear and hate is one of the few that's easily identifiable.

16. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    I was a history major and I took a couple US history courses. Here are some themes that I found interesting.

The American West, specifically contrasting myths and realities. The myths of the so-called frontier have ramifications on the American psyche to this day.

The managerial revolution and its impact on business. There weren't always major corporations, the growth of management as a profession allowed such things to take shape.

The relationship between the US and Latin America, from the Monroe doctrine to this day.

All of these are interesting in their own right. These topics have the added benefit that there are somewhat off the beaten path of US history. Judging by the way you describe the assignment, I can guarantee that there will be papers on Vietnam, racism/slavery, and various forms of popular music. They are all good topics, but if you do something more original, your instructor might appreciate that. Just a thought...

17. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

The American Depression of the 1930s

The 1960s era of the growth of the hippy culture and growing anti- Vietnam War sentiment

The Cuban Missile Crisis and the Bay of Pigs...in fact, the rise
    of Fidel Castro and its impact on the US.

The Nixon "Watergate" scandal and fallout

Kennedy's assassination--or you could do every presidential
    assassination and attempted assassination

The Civil Rights movement including the "end" of school segregation, the military and public transportation

The secession of the Florida Keys from the United Sates and the creation of the Conch Republic--one of the funniest events in recent US history.

How inventions such as the telegraph, telephone, electricity, and the automobile and aviation ( internal combustion engine) have impacted and changed history.

The history of radio, TV , cinema and the recording industry.

The women's movement from the right to vote, to equal pay for equal work, property rights, etc.

The rise of jazz.

The history and development of hip hop and its implications for our culture and history.

The roots of the Civil War

The US's greatest natural disasters including the Great SanFrancisco earthquake, the Galveston Hurricane, The 1936 Labor Day Hurricane of the Florida Keys, the Johnstown Flood, the Chicago Fire, etc.

Great epidemics such as the Influenza outbreak of 1918, the rise of HIV, smallpox, ect.

The Salem Witch Trials

18. alembic76407

alembic76407

Apr 29, 2004
    Oklahoma
    how about the Great Boston Molasses Flood, and how prohibition may have been may have been at fault for the death of 21 people and a dozen horses and one cat!!!

19. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    Thanks a lot guys, this is really helping me out. As was stated earlier, it would be nice to have a topic that is a little off the beaten path, but not too far off, for i want to be able to research it.

keep em coming! :D

slick

20. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    You should write a paper about how the Kaiser stole the word for "twenty" back in nineteen dickety two.

brad cook