1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting tuning machines

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by misterbadger, Apr 19, 2017.

1. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Has anyone seen or used these? They're on a recent ('02) German bass I recently purchased. Seem to work nicely, with little nylon or teflon bearings on the tuner shafts, but huge (1 3/4"/45 mm) gears. A google search turns up nothing - thanks for any information. IMG_0877.JPG

GKon, james condino and Rodger Bryan like this.
  2. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
    Handsome looking tuners. Too bad about the Philips head screws, they make everything look tacky. Hard to tell in this pic/light, are they polished brass? Are the tuner shafts straight or tapered?

3. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    What would be the alternative to the"tacky" Philips screws? Just curious.

lz4005 and RRR like this.
  4. keiranohara

keiranohara Commercial User

Nov 7, 2007
    Ossining, NY
    Luthier at AES Fine Instruments
    Flat heads such as the screws that come supplied with rubners and slones. Here are the ones one a Jeff Bollbock bass. JeffB. JeffB.

james condino likes this.
  5. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Thanks for the reply. I figured that you meant flatheads, but those are extra nice. Now those are some "sharp" tuners!

6. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    These tuners are chrome, and the tuner posts (the part the strings attach to - I'm using "shafts" to denote the worm gear/button) have a definite taper.

Screw-wise, I'd agree that slot-drive screws are an absolute requirement for anything intending to look antique or vintage, but these tuners are quite modern in design and the Phillips drive looks appropriate to me. YMMV. Not a big deal to swap out, of course.

carl h. and RSBBass like this.
  7. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    Yes, you mean "slotted" screws. Flathead means something different. As a machinist I hate slotted screws, but concede that they fit better visually. There are also square drive screws, which look nice, but are harder to get. The gears and plates might be "German Silver" which is basically brass but with a high nickel content, giving a silver rather than gold color. Very nice looking machines!

gnypp45 and Don Kasper like this.
  8. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    I wasn't going to pick nits about flathead vs oval head screws as hardware attachments, but since we've gone completely off-topic...

Square-drives (my cabinet shop has thousands of 'em) scream "production" and would be a complete non-starter for me in this situation.

German Silver? Hadn't thought of that, but I'll bet you're correct. It's not as shiny as a chrome-plated finish - hopefully it'll dull down a bit.

GKon likes this.
  9. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Just since we're showing off tuning gears.... Pegboxrepair.

GKon likes this.
  10. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    It's too bad that what looks good is seldom what works well :meh: Square drives are brilliant for woodworking, but yeah, are a not exactly beautiful. They don't exist over here, BTW.

GKon likes this.
  11. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I think they might be spectacular, but I can't tell, as the photo is so blurry.
    Try adjusting your antenna, Ed, or adding some tinfoil to the Rabbit Ears.

GKon and jsf729 like this.
  12. Don Kasper

Don Kasper Supporting Member

I dig the look and functionality of a Button Head Socket Cap screw:(below).
    Also, very "Flesh-Friendly", (no sharp edges). IMO.

6mm-10-x-10mm-metric-button-head-socket-cap-screws.

james condino likes this.
  13. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Thank-you. Of course Philips can be flathead as well. Slotted was what I meant and I agree. I think that they should be outlawed (!), but they do have their place in vintage applications. They sure look nice with those machines!

GKon and gnypp45 like this.
  14. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Gears.
    Mo bettah?

GKon, fdeck, jsf729 and 3 others like this.
  15. bengreen

bengreen

Jan 26, 2016
    San Diego
    What a tease. But it always happens with tuning machines.

Someone posts a picture of an interesting looking set. And when you try to find anything about them, if they're available and a price...it's as if all the information got sucked through a black hole into another universe and all that's left to talk about are the screws.

I count 40:1 on the pic. Nice.

16. KUNGfuSHERIFF

KUNGfuSHERIFF Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Upstate NY
    I'm guessing Ed's machines were made by Gagnon or one of his guys. Call Kolstein. He might have a set.

17. gnypp45

gnypp45

Apr 21, 2014
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I was going to write the exact same thing. I hate them with a vengance. Any slotted screws I find among my tools are mercilessly thrown away.

robobass likes this.
  18. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    A spiritual brother! I am perhaps the worst fastener geek you could possibly meet, and I hate just about everything. Yes, I toss lots of screws, and rarely use the ones provided with lamps, prefab cabinets, etc. The thing is that decent fasteners are out there, and not that expensive, if you take the time to look.

19. jsf729

jsf729 Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2014
    Central Maryland
    Sorry if I derailed an innocent bass machine thread into a screw thread!

20. misterbadger

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    Not a problem for the OP. Hell, this is way more entertaining than talking about tuning machines!
    Fastener geeks. Who knew?

jsf729 likes this.