Interesting twist on "tone in the hands"

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Bardolph, Jul 13, 2004.

1. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    All right, this is kind of a bizarre idea so just stick with me. Now let's assume that mankind had the kind of technology that would allow us to amputate a person's hands and put somebody else's hands on them and connect the nerves and everything. That way you could technically have somebody else's hands but they'd still be totally under your control. What do you think that would do to tone?
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    And I thought guitarists were tone obsessive :p
  3. It's not "all in the hands". It's all in the brain. The hands are merely a tool for executing technique, but that technique originates from la cabeza. They'll need to figure out a way to transplant the brain as well. Too much trouble, if you ask me.
  4. Bardolph

Jul 28, 2002
    Grand Rapids, MI
    Basically, the question is how much of a role do you think skin texture/finger size etc. have in tone?
  5. sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    brain sugery ay? well ti just so happens i took a brain surgery class while attending accounting was an elective.

can anyone saying paging dr. kavorkian?
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Wasn't there a Peter Lorre movie where he played a pianist who got transplanted hands from a murderer? I recall it didn't help his music career :D
  7. loobahood8b

Jul 13, 2004
    i think the tone depends more on how the fingers are moving and applying pressure to the strings the actual texture of them probably wouldn't affect it much unless your fingers were made of rock, soft fingers might be good but u can get that by just peeling off your callousts
  8. I think it's mostly in the brain, but the size, strength, etc of your hands definitely have something to do with it.
  9. As does the equipment, and even the environment you are playing in.
  10. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    I got first dibs on Joe Satriani's hands!

11. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

It can have a huge effect. My fingertips, even when toughened, are rather flabby and fleshy, which has frustrated me over the years because I've usually preferred a strong attack. Some bassists have very slim bony fingertips and can almost get a pick-like attack when playing fingerstyle. To get a stronger attack with my fleshy fingers, I used a modified version of Entwistle's "typewriter" technique: I didn't angle my fingers like he did, but I hit the strings hard enough so that they slapped the end of the fretboard.

Now that I'm mostly playing old-school blues, C&W, and rock, the rounder sound that comes from my fleshy fingers is an advantage, so I'm not hitting the strings as hard for those styles.
  12. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    My opinion: What strap you use probably has more of an impact on your tone.
  13. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    It's not the size that matters, it's how you use it...ermm.. them.
  14. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'd vomit right now if I wanted to.
  15. invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
    Um....yay? :confused:
  16. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Hand replacement surgery? Um...ow
  17. BenderR

Jun 1, 2004
    Tucson, AZ
    This is one of those hardware vs software issues. IMHO the mind is the biggest factor because it provides real time control of the hands and controls many (although not all) of the factors in creating the sound. If I pick up a different instrument I am able to recreate my normal sound after just a few minutes of adaptation. If someone had different hands I think that the mind would find a way to create your normal sound too (after a few years of intense psycho-therapy necessitated by the trauma of a hand transplant). :)
  18. Corwin81

Mar 18, 2003
    Ames, IA
    Dibs on Pat Dahlheimer's brain
  19. stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    :bag: <-- Pat :D
  20. Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I have a saxophone that you could try out. :p
    It's almost all mind. The mind didctates the speed of the attack and the angle and depth.