Interesting 'what if'

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Figjam, Apr 17, 2004.

1. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If you had 0 basses, and $2000.....

And you see all of the basses you own NOW in a pawn shop for the same price you pyed when you originally bought them...

Which would you re-buy?

Would you just buy new basses that are better?

Which of the basses that you own now do you feel you couldnt go without?

--- For me i would rebuy my Godin for $320. (used). I upgraded the pickups to Bartolinis and i love this bass. My Spector Q5 is nice but i havent customized it in any way so that could always be replaced, and if i had $2000 i would buy a Euro Spector or a Warwick. Also probably a used Godin BG4.
  2. FF Petro

FF Petro

Feb 16, 2004
    For 2k I could get back both of my Carvins. I love those basses, and you can't beat them for 6 strings.
  3. Part of me wishes I had kept my sunburst '68 P-bass. I don't think I could get it back for $2,000, though.. :(
  4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I would re-buy my Steinberger XM2AT. I don't own any other basses, so I would spend the rest of the cash on hookers and blow! :p

Nah, just kidding. I'd give it to the homeless.
  5. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I would get my Carvin back as well. People say this and that about Carvin and especially their pickups/electronics (and I openly admit I replaced my pickups with Barts on a hunch I would get a growlier sound, and that was accomplished) but I've had mine for over 10 years and it really is a solidly constructed beast.

And I would get my Rickenbacker back as well. I mostly play fretless these days, but I will always have to have a loud, fretted Rickenbacker around to shred wallpaper off walls with. :D
  6. I would re-buy my FBB. Its one of a kind and i hope $2K would be enough if it ever appreciates, not that i would EVER sell it.
  7. Ethon

Jan 25, 2003
    Akron, Ohio

So they can spend it on hookers and blow?
  8. I'd rebuy both mine, $1000 total roughly, and spend 1000 on a Warmoth J.
  9. I'd buy my Warmoth home-built P back, as the pickup and switching configuration and some other features I put in it are unusual, and I'd want to keep as a reference if I ever get a bass custom built.

the Hohner ABG I'd buy back for its quirky pseudo-double-bass fretless (defretted it myself) tone with flats, but for significantly less than I paid for it new- it's picked up some damage.

also I'd only buy the Yamaha RBX270F back cheaper - it's a very common and easily-replaced instrument.

the rest are worn-out and/or flawed in some way to me.
    I'd use the left over money to get a 5string with features I've learned to appreciate over the years- particular string spacing, particular pickup config, active/passive bypass, balance, even sustain , a top horn extending to the 12th fret.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    If I had the $2000 and I were in some kind of time warp, I would rebuy that old MM Stingray that I picked up in '86 for $350. I would pick up my old Alembic Essence 5-string that I traded for a Steinberger 5. Finally, I would find either my old MM Stingray 5 or Yamaha TRB 6 at current used bass prices. :)
  11. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'd buy my Ibanez SRX505 back, and then I'd spend the rest of the money on either a higher-end Engelhardt upright or a nice amp rig.
  12. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    Alembic Orion
    Conklin Gt-7
  13. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    0 basses... what a terrible world... how could you even think of that... :bag:

Oh I'd get my dean back because I have emotional attachment to that baby ( i do think that matters, atleast for me) and get a freaken amp... I am tired of not having an amp damn it... although running the bass through my bros 300watt mixer over to dual 600watt 15" speakers in my garage isn't that bad...
  14. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    For $2,000 US I could buy back all four of my basses and still have enough to buy a new 1x12 cab! I probably wouldn't though. I would buy back my first bass. I would buy my P bass back unless I could find another.