1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

interesting yet annoying thing I found...

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Greg Johnsen, Apr 8, 2006.

1. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I was on the treadmil the other morning listening to RHCP and some A7X stuff. I start off at a slow walk and I notice that when my feet hit the "ground" I'm in line with the beat. I thought this was pretty cool so I stayed on that speed for a while and did some accents with my feet and what not. Then the next song (unholy confessions) starts up and I'm goin way to slow, so I speed it up, but I can't get the beat so I make my run different. I tried to run without being in time and I wouldn't let myself do it, I guess that's what happens when you're a musician. Anyone else notice this when they run, or m I just weird (I'm sure I am, so feel free to say it :bassist: )

Greg

2. Theonestarchild

Theonestarchild Artfully lost

Aug 23, 2005
    North Carolina
    Rule number one. When time limits apply, listen to shred metal. When you're just chillin', listen to jazz. Music is like a metronome for your body. You even write differently. I do anyway.

3. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    when i walk in the mornings, i notice myself doing it like that to.

4. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Go join a marching band! :p I do that to music to when I'm walking, but that is just my marching band influence coming through. I mark time when I'm moving to music on stage or at a show too. Not a full stiff marching band mark time, but it'll be one heel down, then the other etc etc.

5. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    I am in Marching band! That's probably where it came from. Ha, that's it, thanks for reminding me. You know your a MB geek if you roll step in the off season for fun...

Greg

6. I do the same thing.

I don't listen to music while on the treadmill anymore. Depending on the tempo It would mess up my stride or sometimes my breathing. I watch the tube now.

7. ebe9

ebe9

Feb 26, 2006
    South Africa
    I do similar things with regards to keeping some sort of beat. The one thing that bug me about myself is that I cannot leave a bet/pattern unfinished; similar to the part in Who Framed Roger Rabbit where the chap taps out "Shave and a haircut........." "Two Bits"

8. *laughs*

Took the students in my program out for their Saturday activity today--roller skating/blading. Every damn song that played, I was TRYING to skate in time somehow...and came close to falling on my arse every attempt. :bag: :D So I gave up...but not keeping the tempo was annoying me.

9. Okay, so I listen to some tunes on the treadmill today.
    (didn't really listen to the tunes on the treadmill. My treadmill has no speakers. I listen to the tunes while on the treadmill)

Yeah, it's hard to keep a good pace together. I was listening to a bunch of tunes I have downloaded, a wide range of old rock and R&B like Van Morrison and The Beatles all the way to King Curtis and Bobby Bland.

Some tunes were better than others, than an awesome thing happened. I was cooling down at 3 miles per hour when James Browns' Sex Machine came on. Adjusted to 3.1 MPH and I was dropping it on the down beat. I actually had a strut going on. Thanks James!

Just thought I'd share. :ninja:

10. Haha, I usualy find myself walking inn time with music im listening to. Trying not to keep tempo is very annoying. Also, If im running, I think off a song that goes in the same pace im running in.

11. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    Yeah, it's hard to keep a good pace together. I was listening to a bunch of tunes I have downloaded, a wide range of old rock and R&B like Van Morrison and The Beatles all the way to King Curtis and Bobby Bland.

Some tunes were better than others, than an awesome thing happened. I was cooling down at 3 miles per hour when James Browns' Sex Machine came on. Adjusted to 3.1 MPH and I was dropping it on the down beat. I actually had a strut going on. Thanks James!

Just thought I'd share. :ninja:[/QUOTE]

LOL! That's exactly what I do when walking. I even accent the beats, even though I tried to do that while running, I busted my face on the bar that hold the display because running at 7.5 and trying to hit the beat on a slow song just doesn't work...

Greg

12. MO542

MO542

Jan 6, 2006
    Nashville
    That is really funny… I do the same thing. I run 5 days a week (5 miles / day) and use a MP3 player to keep me thinking about something else. I find myself running to the beat. If I’m using the treadmill, I find myself skipping higher so my feet land on the beat.

13. I find this most with typing. I can't type out of time with music.

I'm not joking: At uni I listened to a lot of brit pop, and so that was what I wrote my essays to. It slowed me down. I finally realised this and started puting on some RATM. It really sped things up.

It's a musicians thing, but I think a good one.

Cheers

14. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    I do circuit training at a women's gym. I am the only person that I know of in this workout group who feels *compelled* to work out to the beat. The other ladies, when they get to the aerobic stations, are content to run in place, with no regard to the beat. But if the beat in the music is awkward, I can't get a good workout, because my feet will only go to the beat!

They laugh at me about it. They also laugh when I count off. :-}

Let 'em laugh. I'm the only bass player in the entire membership, and the only musician in the membership that plays anything besides a piano, or that plays out. So...giggle away, girls! But ya better come to my show and pay for your laughter!

Cherie :)

15. txbasschik

txbasschik

Nov 11, 2005
    Leander, Texas
    +1!!!

Cherie...Was In Marching Band, Back In The Long-Ago ;)

16. Greg Johnsen

Greg Johnsen

May 1, 2005
    Hickory NC
    lol, hardcore sousa player right here. Maybe I should start a "calling all marching band TBers, unite!" thread. ha.

Greg

17. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I was never in marching band, but I do that too when I'm walking and I made a playlist on my ipod SPECIFICALLY for working at the gym. I just have to keep slow songs and stuff that's not in 4 out of it or it messes me up.

18. willkt6

willkt6

Sep 27, 2005
    i can't read at the same time as listening to dance of eternity by dream theater. or system of a down.

19. I love running to music and always run to the beat. I used to make myself running tapes on my walkman, and now it's running playlists on my mp3. It gives me a real high.

More recently I've been ice skating to my mp3 player and 'stroke' to the rhythm. It's a really good workout.
    Try 'The House is a Rockin' by Stevie Ray Vaughan. :hyper:

20. Go for it. I'm in. 4 years of 'bone, here. Helped bring home my school's first competition trophy. ;) And, even though I'm a total klutz, can still walk backwards. To whatever beat you lay down. :D