1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interesting...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by brianerwin, Mar 25, 2013.

1. brianerwin

brianerwin

Oct 21, 2012
    I have the Ibanez SR505 bass.
    I recently purchased Dunlap strings for it. I got the nickel round wound strings 45 - 130.
    This is what the manual calls for so I was careful to get the
    right strings for it.
    I replaced the strings recently, No problems doing this but it gets interesting from here.
    I sent Ibanez an email asking them what strings they use as stock strings. The answer was Elixer strings.
    Anyway after playing around on these strings for about a week, which I feel is a pretty good time to let them settle in,
    I started to check tuning all over the fretboard. Especially octives.
    Pretty much all strings were on target but the B string was way off. Sharp.
    I had to adjust the bridge to get it to be in tune with the octive.
    Reading the manual it tells me if it is sharp to bring the bridge
    sattle back thus lengthing the string making it lower in pitch.
    I did this, still sharp....
    I didn't see this in print but I decided to lower the bridge as in bringing it closer to the instrument. I tried it a little and the pitch started to come down and closer to the correct pitch.

After a few more adjustments, I got the B string in tune open and octive.

Has this happened to anyone else and why would I have to make such changes to my bass to get it in tune?
    (Besides the obvious answers)

Thanks...

2. aprod

aprod

Mar 11, 2008
    Anytime you change brands of strings there is the possibility of having to do a setup. Different tension is probably the reason since you did not change gauges. You may want to serch the thread relating to setups.

3. brianerwin

brianerwin

Oct 21, 2012
    After thinking about this very small issue, I decided to do a little bit of research.
    I discovered that the Elixer strings, even though still has the low B string at the .130 gauge, it is "Light"
    Where as the Dunlop strings send you the B string in the "Medium" gauge (still .130)

My question is: Does this cause my issue with having to readjust my bridge to put it in tune?