1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Interface problems

Discussion in 'Recording Gear and Equipment [BG]' started by Robert Bayle, Nov 17, 2018.

1. Robert Bayle

Robert Bayle

Mar 24, 2018
    I have a motu 2408 interface that’s pretty old that only takes rca inputs but I plug it into my computer via stereo cable. But whenever I use my monitor or even hit record nothing comes out.

2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    An interface connects to a computer via some sort of digital cable (USB, FireWire, Thunderbolt, PCI, PCIe, etc.). What type of cable are you using to connect the interface to the computer?

3. Robert Bayle

Robert Bayle

Mar 24, 2018
    Yeah I bought a FireWire to usb cable because it has a FireWire input on the interface

4. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    I don't think it's even possible to have a USB-to-Firewire adapter. You need a computer that has a Firewire port. If you have a desktop PC you can install an expansion card with a Firewire port on it.

And I likes this.
  5. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    My understanding is that it is possible, but only in the opposite direction of what the OP is doing. You can connect a USB device to a FireWire input on a computer, but not the other way around. I might be completely wrong on that though.

6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    USB to Firewire adapters don't work except in really rare cases....definitely not for an audio interface. If your interface is Firewire only and your computer doesn't have Firewire or Thunderbolt connections you are out of luck.