Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Interference between pups and onboard pre?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Jun 17, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Hi folks,

Designing the layout of my electronics cavity, and am drawing in the pots, batteries/clips, and Aguilar onboard pre, and am wondering something.

Does anyone know if the magnetic field put out by the pickups will in any way interfere with the function of an Aguilar onboard pre? If so, is there any way to overcome it, or should I be trying to move the pre to a point in the cavity as far away from the pups as possible?

Thanks!

2. My 'assumption' is that it wouldn't interfere. Take a look at the proximity of the MASSIVE PUP on a Stingray 5 and its preamp.

However, to be sure Aguilar tech support is very responsive and should be able to give you a definitive answer.

3. I've never heard of that happening. Anyway, you are shielding your control cavity, aren't you? this should minimize any possible interference.

4. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Thanks guys. Yup, I've got copper tape coming with my next (and hopefully last) order from StewMac.