Interference Static?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by 4stringer711, Oct 28, 2016.

1. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    I hope this is the right forum.

For the last couple of months I have been trying to sort out a "white noise" type, dry static noise in my IEM channel at church. It was initially so bad I left my pedal board at home and borrowed a tuner to get through a few services I had back to back. With just my bass, regular instrument cable, and the borrowed tuner, everything was great. So I ruled out my instrument and focused on checking my board.

It didn't seem to be an issue in the house sound and it didn't seem to be an issue for other bass players who rotate on the team (so that ruled out the church cables and DI box that we share). I tried cleaning my connections and checking everything. It seemed to go away when I used batteries for my pedals instead of the AC adapter. So I thought it may be a power supply issue.

But recently I played at a different campus for our church. On a whim I brought all my pedals and the daisy chain power adapter. Everything sounded fine.

Assuming both locations of church have the same or similar equipment and setup I am considering the possibility that our main campus has some lights or other issue that is causing some interference and the sound in my ears.

Any suggestions on what may help? Maybe different patch cords that are shielded or a different AC adapter?

Thanks.

2. Johnny Mac

Johnny Mac Riff-finder General Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2005
    Springfield, MA
    This seems like the most likely culprit. Do you have an isolated power supply, and if so, do you still experience the problem with using it?

If you don't already have one, you should seriously consider making the investment.

3. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    I'll second the isolated power supply.

Do you have a power conditioner on your wireless rack as well?

4. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    Thanks for the reponses. I just have a standard Boss AC adapter for my tuner and some Donner pigtails to send AC power from the tuner to my other pedals.

Is there a recommended brand or model to use instead?

5. LSMFT6

LSMFT6 We brake for nobody Supporting Member

Aug 16, 2006
    California
    None
    Which pedals are you using? There's a good chance they don't all need to be isolated, which would warrant a whole new power supply. Most of the time, identifying and individually isolating will solve the problem

6. 4stringer711

4stringer711

Sep 24, 2016
    Boss Tuner
    Danelectro FAB chorus and delay
    Beringer overdrive
    Dunlop Crybaby Wah

Heading into Christmas season I am fine getting a new isolated power supply then just powering all the pedals from it. Nows the time for shopping. Thanks for the help.

LSMFT6 likes this.
  7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021