1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intermediate Amp? Help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ABR_Matt, Oct 4, 2010.

1. ABR_Matt

ABR_Matt

Apr 26, 2010
    Hey everyone,

So I recently looked into buying a new setup. I've been playing for about three years now, and unfortunately I'm still on my Fender Squire P-Bass and Fender Rumble 15. I've been looking into buying a new amp, but I don't really know where to look.
    So here's the deal. I've just moved into my dorm room. I live in a "suite-style" room, so I do have my own space for an amp. However, this will be my full-time amp, so I'm looking for something good enough. I'd say my max is 250$, but I'm willing to go higher if someone really suggests me to. Can anyone help me out?

Thanks,
    Matt.

Ps, combo or head/cab? I realize I'll have to spend more for a decent head/cab setup.
    PPs, I'm into a bit heavier playing styles (usually in drop d / c), but I do enjoy playing in standard from time to time as well.

2. jastacey

jastacey

Feb 8, 2009
    Houston,Tx
    Keep your eyes on the local craigslist ...deals do pop up, from time to time, and you have to have the ability to fund the purchase ASAP ...or it will be the deal that got away, going the separate head/cabinet route, gives you a lot more options

3. ABR_Matt

ABR_Matt

Apr 26, 2010
    Okay, makes sense. I do have the ability to fund it now, which is why I'm looking before I mistakenly waste all my money on other things. I'll make sure to look around. Also, I do think I'd rather go the head/cab way at this point.

Thanks,
    Matt

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    It's not really enough money to get anything worth having for the long haul, unless you get lucky with a used deal. Read the amps forum and educate yourself about what's available, what's considered "gig worthy", tone considerations, etc. And in the meantime, keep saving. A good 300 watt 4x10 rig will run approx. 5-600 bucks, used.

5. ABR_Matt

ABR_Matt

Apr 26, 2010
    okay, what i was thinking was that I could get a good head, but I'm not exactly sure if a 4x10 cabinet would fit in the room. Would it be worth it to do a 2x10 for now until next year when i have more space? I feel that with a 4x10 i would never get it over .5 volume in my room haha.

6. James Judson

James Judson

Jul 16, 2009
    Did you look at a PV TNT. Small enough to haul around (in any vehicle). Big enough to keep up with drums. Cheap enough (200 to 300 bucks). They actually have some tone as well. Smaller amps often come with head phone outputs (nice for jamming in the middle of the night

I reccomend 300 watts and a 4-10 cab if you plan on gigging regularly.

7. +1 on the Peavy TNT. Great middle of the road amp that's good for practice and smaller gigs. I had one in college that i got for about $250. I got my money's worth out of it since I played in front of a 300+ crowd weekly. IMO, it's more than enough for your dorm room :-D

8. ABR_Matt

ABR_Matt

Apr 26, 2010
    Haha okay perfect, thanks guys. I'll look into it!

9. I just picked up this 200watt 2x10 Genz Benz combo for just under $250 at a pawnshop. I'd say surf the local pawnshops and the local Craigslist and look to buy a good used one. For $250, you can find a higher wattage, better amp used than you ever will new.

I played it at an outdoor jam (in high winds) this past Saturday with 3 guitarists and I had to keep the volume at a minimum (barely 9 o'clock on the amp and about 10-12 o'clock on the bass) to avoid blowing them away with the volume. Yeah, shop used, bro.

GenzBenzMLine200_210T_fullnoflash.jpg
    This is the one I just got (for a whopping $235!)
    It's 20" x 23 3/4" x 15 1/2". Something like this will fit in a small dorm room easily.

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 26, 2021