Intermediate Guitarist New To Bass

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by Thrashman, Apr 19, 2018.

1. Thrashman

Thrashman

Apr 19, 2018
    Hi folks, I've been playing guitar for a couple years and I want to try out bass too.

2. The learning curve from guitar to bass is not that steep. Learn the notes in first position, first five frets of the bass, use your ole fake chord sheet music and when you see a Cmaj7 chord play the C note to the beat of the song. C-C-C-C or C on the first beat then the G on the 3rd beat, i.e. R-5. Not a lot different than what you have been doing. Now you just do it one note at a time instead of strumming the chord.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT5dYIy2U6C8Rhr2Ir5BP6XAA_33TKjBtmKQyVJySS6REy8bCs1.png

The 5th of your root is always up a string and over toward the bridge two frets, or if there is a string lower than your root the 5th can be found down a string same fret.

See a chord find the root and what else you add is up to you. It's your bass line. The 2 & 4 degrees of a major scale seldom get into chords, so right now forget about the 2 & 4 scale degree. The 3 & 7 of a minor chord will be flatted, i.e. b3 or b7. The rest are fair game, so help yourself to the rest.

Where is the 8th or octave? From your root up two strings and over two frets. Always. R-R-R-R or R on the first beat and 5 on the third beat. Then there is the generic bass line R-5-8-5 that will work with major or minor chords. Is there more? Yes, this will get you started, but, first you need to learn how to hold the beast.....:cool:

The sticky "Getting Started", in the General Instruction section of this forum will be time well spent.

Welcome.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
  3. Thrashman

Thrashman

Apr 19, 2018
    Thanks man!

4. Gunther

Gunther

Jun 11, 2013
    Sleepy Ville, USA
    Another thing is go on YouTube and watch all the Chuck Rainey videos. Imbibe his soul.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022