Intermittent amp probs you have fixed?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by rumblethump, Nov 23, 2003.

1. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    Let me start by saying I once had an Acoustic 360 that intermittently crapped out (sound would stop and come back). I had always suspected it was due to deep bass vibrations. I took it to 3 different amp techs and after paying their pound of flesh, I would get it back and still have the same problems everytime I turned up. Very frustrating because it was 50 miles back to the repairman and none of them could figure out the real problem

I contacted the designer (Harvey Gurst), the wonders of the net, and he suggested I go into the preamp and tap on the transistors to see if I could find the problem. No luck but, I had to unassemble the amp frame during this process and found every point of contact had "black" corrosion. After cleaning all the frame connections with 300 grit sandpaper, and reassembling, the amp worked like brand new. 20 plus years I suffered with this problem and it turned out to be something so easy to fix. question is, have any of you had a long time nagging problem with your amp that turned out to be a very easy fix? Please describe?
  2. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, in the class of intermittent problems the most common one is probably dirt, easily curable with a can of deoxit and a burnishing tool for those hard to reach places. Then another common one is wires coming loose, and even detaching from the base of a transformer. Reverb tank problems are pretty common too, lots of times those tiny wires barely make contact with the jacks. Big tube amps are relatively easier to fix than big solid state amps, assuming parts are available. But once in a while you get a real monster, and then it doesn't really matter what kind of amp it is, it kinda goes out of the "repair" class and into the "restoration" class. In the old days we used to get 'em held together with duct tape and all (you know, clearly survived a fall down a flight of stairs), but I haven't seen too much of that recently. :)