1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Intermittent buzzes and hums coming from my speaker

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Spanky123, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    I have an amp that sounds fantastic when it is working properly. It has a 175 watt, 8" speaker. A few days after I got it, I noticed a midrange hum that varied in volume from hardly noticeable to quite loud. I took it to a local repair shop and tried to replicate it for the technician, but it disappeared when tested in the shop. (Much like the old proverb about going to a mechanic with an automoblile problem -- it goes away when the mechanic is there).

Anyway, they kept it for a week and the head guy at the shop had a close look. He called, said the amp sounded amazing and he could find no problems. I came and picked up the amp, thinking maybe it was just one of those things.

I took it home and played it for an hour or two. The problem appeared to have resolved it self. Then suddenly I hit an open G string (at practice volume) and mwaaahhhhh. A completely new hum. Much more noticeable and only on the G. Different from the last hum which was most noticeable on the E and A strings. I shut the amp off. I was busy so I could not make an MP3 recording of it immediately. I came back a few days later with my H2 Zoom recorder to document the hum and...it's gone again. The amp sounds great.

I have been a musician for a long time and have owned many amps. For the first round of mid range hums I hooked it up as an extension cab to another practice amp, same hum, so I think I have ruled out a problem with the amp's electronics. When it's behaving it sounds great at all volumes, so I cannot see how it could be blown.

If someone can please give me an idea of what may be wrong with it I would appreciate it.

2. craig.p

craig.p

Sep 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Job 1 is to find a reliable way to duplicate the problem. Try varying temperature first, such as running it on the floor in a cold room, then running it located high over a heat source or in direct sunlight. Keep a log book. When you find something you think triggers the problem, run several more instances of the same test to verify the result wasn't just a statistical outlier.

3. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    I think it could be a bad solder joint, that doesn't show up until it is warm, and get vibrated, as the metal expands from the temperature, the frequency that sets it off changes. Had a similar thing with an Ampeg head that only misbehaved after being on for about an hour.

4. Spanky123

Spanky123

Jul 22, 2010
    Thanks, Craig; Fox. I will try the above. The first round of hums began as soon as I turned the amp on, so if the two are related, I don't think it is a solder joint. Also, I hooked the cabinet up to another amps extension output and got the same effect, so I 'think' I have ruled out the head.