Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intermittent crackle noise from SVP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flight Time, Jan 14, 2003.

1. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    This weekend, my rig started to make intermittent crackling noise while playing. At one point, my QSC PowerLight amp went into protect mode. I'm using an SVP-Pro pre-amp and Planet Wave cables between my bass and the pre-amp which are relatively new. Playing my basses through another amp created no crackling, so I'm eliminating anything with the basses. Anyone have a similiar experience?

2. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    sounds like it could be something amiss in the output section of the svp...

3. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    bump

4. I've had the same issue with my SVP lately...seems when things start to warm up I get a crackling noise, I'm running through 2 separate 410 cabinets and they both have the same issue. Also if I tap on the top of the SVP (I know I probably shouldn't do this) it will crackle. Is it tubes? Help me out here fellas....

5. Flight Time

Flight Time

Aug 29, 2002
    I found out last weekend that the crackle problem was due to vibration (my rack sits on top of my cab). I put a piece of 2-1/2" foam weather stripping between my rack and my cab and the crackle went away. You may want to try this before you take it to a technician or start replacing tubes.

Let me know what happens.