Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Intermittent fuzz in an Acme

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Lonnybass, Jun 24, 2005.

1. Lonnybass

Lonnybass Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2000
    Minneapolis by way of Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Pedulla Basses
    Hi guys,

Last night at our soundcheck, I noticed that the midrange driver in one of my B2's was buzzy and static-y, but it wasn't happening all the time, just intermittently. Could this point to a crossover fuse bulb going bad, or could it have something to do with the integrity of the banana plug connection (it was hot and extremely humid last night here in Chicago). Or a tube going out in my preamp? Not sure what the solution is here. Ideas welcome!

Lonnybass

2. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    Could be any of those three things. How old is the bulb (or how many LOUD gigs has it done), and how clean/tight a fit do the banana plugs have? Preamp tubes can last forever but one of mine went bad like that.

Alex

3. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Hi Alex-

If I remember correctly, the current bulb has been in there about a year and has done probably about 20 to 30 loud gigs. Think it could be time to drop in a replacement? The banana plugs seem pretty tight on the power amp, but I am a little concerned about the connection to the speakers. They just don't require the same amount of tugging to get them out.

Lonnybass

4. alexclaber

alexclaber Commercial User

Jun 19, 2001
    Brighton, UK
    Director - Barefaced Ltd
    I think changing the bulb is probably the last resort, it's not that old or heavily gigged. Have you considered switching to Speakons, they're really nice solid connectors? Do you have a spare tube you could try?

Alex

5. If you've tried all of the above suggestions and are still having problems it might be worth checking for speaker creasing (on the 10s). I went through that last year and the symptoms were similar. It's easiest to see if you remove the grilles, but it's not necessary if you examine carefully.

The good news is that if this is your problem Andy's customer service is excellent and you'll have new drivers in a flash.

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Lonny's been through the replacement woofer route not too long ago...

You know Lonny, if you hadn't moved into the city, I could have just run over and added Speakons to your speaker cables... ;) Of course your new place is way cool... (folks, you should see the beautiful basses hung on the wall as usable art).

Maybe it was just some random noise somewhere in the system. Did it continue during your set? What else electrical was going on during the sound check...lighting folks messing with the lights, etc.? Were you running on Com-Ed or a generator?

7. Lonnybass

Jul 19, 2000
    Hey buddy- Just got back from NYC for work. It didn't appear to continue during the set, but there was a lot going on with the lights and the rest of the electrical (run off of Com-Dead). This weekend, I did switch out the banana plugs for a speaker connector for the Acme's though - it seemed like the plugs on the banana cables just weren't "locking" snugly the way I wanted to (ie lots of wiggle). Of course, this problem is nothing compared to the blown fuse I experienced during the second song of the set (emailed you about it earlier today). All kinds of scary things going wrong at the Cubby Bear.

8. The speakon connector is a step up regardless.

Make sure it happens at home too, or in other locations. Could be power issues, flourescent lights, motors, etc.

My advice is to start testing cheap stuff first. Try a new bulb, if no change, now you have a spare for emergencies. Try replacing cords. If you have another amp, swap that for a gig or two.

Intermittent stuff is the hardest to track down, and when you think you've fixed it, it may turn out that it just stopped doing it for a while by itself, your change had nothing to do with it.

For intermittent stuff, I like to swap things out until I find it stops, then swap that last piece back in to also see if I can get it to start reliably as a double check that it wasn't just coincidence.

Go through cables, connectors, swapping amps (power and pre if applicable), swapping basses, replacing batteries, etc, anything you can do easily.

If you really think its the speakers, hook it up to a CD player with an appropriate amp, play some bass solo stuff on the CD player, see if the problem occurs.

Randy