1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Intermittent Speaker Failure

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lefty007, Feb 10, 2013.

1. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hi, all.

I have a Schroeder 1212L that has been my workhorse for years. I once fried one of the drivers and got it replaced and it's been working fine until last night.

I fired it up, and the top driver sounded like it was fried, like that the paper cone buzz / bad coil sound, and there was little output. I have heard how a bad driver sounds so I was pretty sure it was gone.

Then this morning I tried it again, just to make sure before I order a new speaker, and it sounds fine! Just fine! No buzzing and full volume. Same bass, cables and signal path.

I'm a 20+ years pro so I know how my stuff works. (I think I know my stuff, but I'm no expert.) When the failure happened I checked all the cables, and everything in the signal path. . .

Is it possible that a speaker cone or coil might give a failure intermittently? I thought the coil was melted. It didn't sound like just when the cone dust cap comes off, it was more of that buzzing you hear when a coil is bad.

Any ideas?

For reference, this is a Celestion 12" NEO 8 Ohm 400 W.

Thanks

2. Bassmec

Bassmec

May 9, 2008
    Ipswich UK
    Proprietor Springvale Studios
    Well in all my years I have never heard of self healing voice coil faults.
    Voice coils can rub but if they do they tend to just stay rubbing. Voice coils are either open circuit or not.
    If there is no voice coil rub and the speaker works, now what the hell happened back then?
    Perhaps the cabinet internal wiring is unreliable.:bassist:

3. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    Bad solder joint anywhere in the signal path to the speaker.

I had a similar problem with a 15" speaker in a pa cab.

The solder joint on the wire from the voice coil to the
    tab you connect to when you install the speaker was
    "cold"... I reflowed the connection and no more cutting out.

4. How about cleaning your FX loop............

When oxidation builds up on the contacts, some symptoms include a distorted sound, and your sound fading in and out.