Internal Dimensions of Avg 8x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jack Wilcox, Oct 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. This is my second post in three days! I'm on a roll!

Who knows where I can find the internal dimensions for the average 8x10? I understand that the vast majority of them are separated into four compartments, and that building them is not totally uncommon. Having said that, I can't seem to find any information on the actual build plans or internal dimensions.

Please note that I am not planning to build an 8x10. Having said that, there is an empty '06 ACC 8x10 (see- not an old one) for very cheap on the local classifieds and I'm considering picking it up. I don't want to reveal my ultimate plan quite yet as I know that the TB community would frown upon it :cautious:

2. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Each driver gets .85 cuft. Just give yourself at least that to 1 cuft and your set. Of doing an 8x10, give yourself around 8 cuft and don't worry about subtracting for bracing, speakets, etc.

3. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    only option would be of course loading that cabinet with speakers

after you add up the cost of new drivers keep your eye out for used 810 they go for around 400 which is cheaper than buying all new drivers.

the acoustic cabs are particle board , don't let the price fool yah

4. I'm not under any delusions about the quality of these newer Acoustic cabs. Actually my goal is to remove the front baffle entirely and construct a massive 1x18 sub for a PA. It's probably not going to happen, but I work in CAD quite a bit and am a decent woodworker. The big question for me is what materials would I need to remove, how will removing certain parts effect bracing, etc. But before I do any of this, I'll need to map out the cab in WinISD to see if the internal volume paired with my available drivers would produce results worth pursuing.

Again, more of a mental exercise than anything, although it might make an interesting weekend project for less $$$ than a good night on the town.

5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass Inactive

Sep 14, 2010
    ahhh cool to figure out internal
    dimensions just subtract .75 for the
    outside wall depths and for the front and rear baffle. also the front baffle is setback a little for a grill and 1.75 is ccommon setback depth.

the outer dimensions are
    28.5wide 52.7 high and 20 deep

so internal dimensions would be
    27 wide 51.2 high 16.75 deep

which is 13.4 cubic feet
    that's actually enough for 2x18
    since on average a typical pro sound 18" needs about 5 to 7cubic feet
    so that's perfect it's providing roughly
    6.7 cubic feet per driver for a pair

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  6. I don't mean to be nit-picky, but for the sake of others' future research, I think it is important to not confuse the GC house brand gear with the sweet vintage stuff: that is most certainly NOT an ACC (Acoustic Control Corp.) cabinet.

7. blubass

blubass

Aug 3, 2007
    Modesto Ca
    Current: Blackstar, DR strings, Nady. Previous endorsements with: GK, Rotosound, Ernie Ball, Cleartone, EMG, Dean, Dava Picks, Rebel Straps, Dickies
    I'm curious, if you're a decent woodworker, then why not try and build a better designed sub, rather than adapt and customize a premade design that was never originally intended to be a sub?

8. Giggles mostly. Also I was inspired by a cab I recently traded for, an Ampeg SVT-212E that someone had converted into a single 18"BW. Well done conversion, good quality woodwork, and sounds absolutely phenomenal for bass guitar, however the relatively internal volume kinda limits it's sub 80hz response and thus not adequate as a true sub (for reference, Peavey recommends 10.2 cuft for this particular speaker) . Sure I could build a true sub in a smaller box, but then it'd be just another homebrew subwoofer. And I figure, I've got drivers, so for $50 for the cab plus the cost of materials, it's not like I'm breaking the bank.

9. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Anyone know the technical reason for the separation? I know they have compartments but learned that only recently. I thought before that, that the secret to the tone was a huge cavernous box....an almost infinite version of what technically is called an infinite baffle (not ported). More area behind the cones means less back pressure and damping per square inch.

10. It would seem that part of it has to do with strength - such a big hollow box would be much more susceptible to damage from impact than something that's compartmentalized, seeing as the compartments can actually act as bracing. I can't speak to whether it actually affects the tone, though in a perfect world, it theoretically shouldn't.

Doner Designs likes this.
  11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    I almost mentioned that, but bracing could be made which doesn't result in separation. Cab volume absolutely does impact tone, but you may be right that if the number of drivers increases in direct proportion to the increased cabinet volume then it may not matter if they share the same airspace or not.

BioWeapon likes this.
  12. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    I would imagine with that many drivers in one box without separation, you'd have a reflected wave nightmare making it sounds better separated. Also bracing as mentioned. Probably costs less to labor than to do other types of bracing.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021