1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

International Blues Challenge - Anyone Going?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by woodsideh, Oct 19, 2009.

1. woodsideh

woodsideh

Feb 19, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Well for 2 years in a row we have "almost" made the cut. 1st runner up on the local level. It always seems that by the end of the day in the local competition that politics rears it's ugly head. Is anyone else here going to Memphis this year? If anyone has been before what was it like and is it worth it to go? I'm sure that there are all of the good reasons for going like exposure, notoriety, etc. but when it is all over does any band other than the overall winning band get anything out of it?

Also, for a 5 piece band to go we figured would cost us around $4000 and we are only in the next state. If any of you are going did the local blues society offer any financial help?

2. We went in '07. The local Blues Society held a fundraiser and we solicited donations so we didn't come out too bad. I think I paid about $300 out of pocket. We had fun, went to some of the jams and played, drank, ate and generally had a great time. Politics always rears its ugly head. Nobody who wins is goint to do it alone, they will have a high-powered management. Just have fun and don't worry about winning.