1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

International call, from where?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Definitely, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Judy recently received a call from an obviously international area code, but can't find it anywhere on the interwebz! After about 20 minutes of various terms put through Google, I gave up and turned to TB for assistance. :help:. The number was V0720091-959-0010. Please help me out here international TB'ers, this is starting to get on my nerves (we've got about 6 scheme/robot calls in the past week, all of which we've been able to locate the number, except this one!). Thanks all! :hyper::hyper::hyper:

EDIT: Realized I put "Judy" instead of "just" (not a very good iPad typer) but coincidentally my grandma was the one who received the call and her name is Judy :p.

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    My mother was receiving a string of calls about a year or two ago, they traced it back to India and it was not a prank or phishing attempt etc etc it was actually an automated system over there being used to 'health check" a phone line or something of the sort.

"V" isnt part of any overseas extension that I'm aware of... it's probably "072" which I believe may be Isreali?

3. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Thanks Relic, I'll check it out. I'd search it and Google couldn't come up with anything but I was adding the V.

EDIT: The UN site says 072 is Botswana, Africa.

4. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    You absolutely sure it was a "v" though? That's so bizarre

5. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Ya it was weird, the exact number that came onto the caller ID was V07200919590010

6. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    There are a lot of strange phone numbers that pop up on a lot of people's phones. They're usually a scam, some sort of automated BS (I got one two days ago telling me I won a cruise or something), or telemarketers.

7. Did you receive this call at 9:19 a.m July 20th?

8. Some of these are scam calls that end up costing hundreds of dollars a minute, so be careful with them! Can't remember where I heard or read the news story, but it is an ongoing scam...

9. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    Why spend any time on this?
    Ignore. Hang up. Live life.

10. Definitely

Definitely Banned

It's just fun to figure out where they're coming from, my grandma and I look them all up just for fun. Trolling them is more fun though.

11. I get texts from Verizon that always start with a V followed by a lot of numbers. Was this on your cell phone?

12. Definitely

Definitely Banned

No it was a home phone.

13. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Numbers that start with V are autodialers, and they're typically assigned to telemarketers and debt collectors. I get one daily from a number similar to that from a debt collector for the person who had my phone number before I did.

14. Definitely

Definitely Banned

Ok well then it was a telemarketer from either Israel or Botswana (I never figured out which different sites said different things) "health checking" - as Relic put it - my grandma's line. My grandparents have lived in that house for 39 years and are the original owners so it wouldn't be debt collectors (that's one thing my grandparents make sure of, everything is paid on time). Thanks all!

15. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

Entirely possible. A lot of autodialer/telemarketer work is now outsourced all over the world.

16. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

Coulda been from Magic Jack, Skype, Oovoo or similar.