Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

International Money Orders

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ooooooooookay, I see these mentioned all over the web (even by people here to get their Supporting Memberships) but;

What are they?
    Where can I get one?
    How much is it likely to cost me?

These are asked after about an hour of going round banks and a Post Office trying to get some, and being sent back and forth, being told that "something similar offered by this company" is gonna cost me £15:mad: - which nearly doubles the cost of what I want them for, and so on.

GRRRRRrrrr

*breathes deeply*

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If this is for what I think it is, then I did research this for my supporting membership and I came to the conclusion that the best bet was American Express.

So - you can get an AmEx International Money order made out in dollars for about £5 - this may seem fairly expensive but I thought it was worth it, as it was insured gainst loss in the post - so completely secure and easy for Paul.

There are AmEx offices everywhere - on every high street - I even found them on tiny Greek Islands!! ;)

3. What do you think it's for, exactly.......??:D

Anyway, after what the Bank of Scotland quoted me (~£15) a fiver seems cheap. I was actually expecting to pay something like that, I can imagine quite a lot of paperwork going with something like that.

Now I just need to find an AmEx office..... there'll be one in Edinburgh, surely.....

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Are you trying to buy that "Matt Groening" 9/11 picture from ebay :D

5. :eek: :D :p

No, there's no way I could afford whatever the high bid is/was.