International Money Orders

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by parrott, Jan 21, 2003.

1. Ooooooooookay, I see these mentioned all over the web (even by people here to get their Supporting Memberships) but;

What are they?
    Where can I get one?
    How much is it likely to cost me?

These are asked after about an hour of going round banks and a Post Office trying to get some, and being sent back and forth, being told that "something similar offered by this company" is gonna cost me £15:mad: - which nearly doubles the cost of what I want them for, and so on.

*breathes deeply*
  2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

If this is for what I think it is, then I did research this for my supporting membership and I came to the conclusion that the best bet was American Express.

So - you can get an AmEx International Money order made out in dollars for about £5 - this may seem fairly expensive but I thought it was worth it, as it was insured gainst loss in the post - so completely secure and easy for Paul.

There are AmEx offices everywhere - on every high street - I even found them on tiny Greek Islands!! ;)

3. What do you think it's for, exactly.......??:D

Anyway, after what the Bank of Scotland quoted me (~£15) a fiver seems cheap. I was actually expecting to pay something like that, I can imagine quite a lot of paperwork going with something like that.

Now I just need to find an AmEx office..... there'll be one in Edinburgh, surely.....
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Are you trying to buy that "Matt Groening" 9/11 picture from ebay :D
  5. :eek: :D :p

No, there's no way I could afford whatever the high bid is/was.