1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

international power supply

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by raised_fist, Sep 18, 2005.

  1. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    Hey fellas,
    please excuse my ignorance, but I was hoping to get some help with this.
    I am looking to buy some pedals, sansamp, etc off of eBay, all of which use 9V adaptors or batteries.
    I live in Australia, where we use a different power supply.
    Will that make any difference if I use an Australian 9V adaptor, or a 9V battery? Surely as long as the power comes out as 9V, right?

    Thanks guys!
  2. That's right...9V is 9V, get a universal adaptor from Dick Smith to do the trick...just make sure that you set it up with the correct polarity and that the power output of your adaptor from DS is at least that of the American one (usually shown as a current rating in mA).

    In the meantime...you can always just use 9V batteries...9V batteries are universal.
  3. xan


    Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i have a sansamp and i power it with a standard 9v boss style adaptor that i bought from a music store. as long as you have an australian 240v adaptor, it will do the trick.
  4. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    ahhhhhhhhh of course, just as I suspected, thanks guys!
    Now I can buy all the american stompboxes I like! Mwahahahahaha!
  5. brooklynbassguy

    brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

    Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    What you want is the 1spot by Visual Sound. It automatically switches for different currents. I travel the world with a couple of these. You would just need adapter plugs, and it's very small. I just used it in argentina, which has the same ac plugs as australia...
  6. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    cool thanks man.
    This seems no where near as hard as some people have been telling me hey.
    I got a tale about me needing a $200 box about 30cm long to convert the power source. All that for a damn stompbox?!?!
  7. I assume this tale you heard, was probably about voltage conversion... generally speaking, something with a plug coming straight out of it (like you would find on a cab or amp) if its a US plug, it is probably set to run strictly on 110volts... we use 240 volts, so if you buy a travel adaptor and plug into the aussie socket, well, you'll fry it quicker than something that fries very quick indeed... I found this out first hand with my old morley wah pedal... it has a plug directly from the pedal to the power point...

    In those situations, you need to either buy a step down transformer (the wattage rating of the thing you are plugging in will vary the price.. i.e. small = small price, large = large price)... or, you can take it to a music shop, or an electricians I guess, and ask them to install a transformer inside.... either way, that will start to set you back in the area of hundreds or several hundred dollars...

    But for you, the pedals you want to use, are 9V... 9V is always 9V no matter where you go in the world, all 9V batteries from anywhere will run the pedall properly, and all 9V adaptors will also
  8. That sounds like classic Dick Smith employee behaviour. Would I be close to the mark with that assumption?!
  9. Yea, if you ever get a step down transformer, don't get the dick smith one... :rolleyes:
  10. jeffhigh


    May 16, 2005
    what you need is a 9v dc regulated (constant voltage)power supply, the plug for the effecrs is generally 2.1mm negative pin.
    you can get plugpack adaptors at abut $25 AU to do this or for plenty of power for 11 pedals, what I use is a jaycar 1.5amp laboratory power supply which cost around $50 AU
  11. mikeboth

    mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

    Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    Err - why not?

    I've used item M1155 from dse.com.au for years - AUS$58, and way more then enough wattage for USA-cabled (good for preserving the value of BiPhases etc).
  12. Well, when I went to a couple of Dick Smith stores around my area... they only had the larger transformers (upwards of $200), which have ratings in excess of most things you would usually use a step down transformer for anyway, and in the case where you do need it, its probably more convenient to have an electrician fit a transformer internally, because the outboard ones are huge.... And the M1155 you speak of, would be suitable for most things... I didnt realise they sold them, my mistake... still, you can get them cheaper elsewhere
  13. raised_fist

    raised_fist Guest

    Dec 16, 2002
    actually, no. It was the evil do'ers at Tandy!
  14. jebus, even worse!

    Well, now you know the truth you can pick up a second hand 9VDC supply down at cash convertors (or similar) and get jamming!
  15. I think Dick Smith and Tandy are now related! Heaps of DSE gear has been popping up at our local Tandy of late.
  16. it's even worse than that, Brown Shark. Wondering why I mentioned Woolworths? Check this link!
  17. Correct...DSE bought Tandy...at least in Australia

    I have an American Peavey Microbass Amp that I've been running off a 65Watt Dick Smith Step Down transformer for 4 years without issue. It cost me about $150 AU...When I contacted the Peavey agent company here in Australia, they wanted $61 AU just for a new 240VAC transformer to stick in her...not worth spending the extra $60. So, I still run it through the transformer.