Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

International Society of Bassists...Worth it?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by tplyons, Feb 28, 2005.

1. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I was wondering some things about the ISB... first of all, as a student, the $25/yr dues is perfectly doable (I pay more for TB memberships) but was wondering the benefit of joining such an organization.

Their website is somewhat confusing as I cannot tell the benefits of joining other than the publication. Do we you at least get a membership card?

Oh, and who here's a member?

2. There are two publications--a glossy journal style and a newsletter style. A discount on musical instrument insurance is a decent benefit of membership. I joined mostly for the insurance discount.

3. I was an ISB member for years. My main reason was because, as everyone knows, I'm a freak for looking at basses. (bathroom material)
    I have issues from the very begining when they looked like little news papers.
    I think I gave it up because it was kind of like having cable TV. The same thing over and over again. Pages of Kolstein ads, pick-up ads, etc.
    It seemed that the focus was really on the classical side of bassdom too.

I suggest trying it for a year and see for you ownself!