Internationally Bass Purchasing

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vosk, Dec 17, 2005.

1. Hey fellow TBers,

I live in sunny Queensland, Australia, where the new bass market is a little bit pricey.

A new Stingray retails at $3100 AUD. I can get this for about $1700 from the states, without Australian warranty of course, + shipping + customs fees.

Unfortunately, customs fees are a lot over here, so that raises the price a bit. I can get the stingray down to a deal of $2400 in australia, where importing it eventually comes to about $2100-2200.

so $200 - 300 for a warranty isn't that bad for me. But when I could be hypothetically saving $600 on a stingray, I start to hate the customs import taxes very much. :crying:

So, a couple of questions today. Would I have to pay tax on used goods, and Is there anyway I can get cheaper basses in australia. I could get them labelled as gifts, but retailers don't seem to like doing that.

Help! :help:
  2. Theres been quite a few threads on this so search on 'Australia' you should get some good info on import fees on importing to Australia.
    I have imported 2 basses from the US in the last year and a cab and 2 heads.
    Yes you will have to pay GST and a customs fee on used gear. If its under $1000 AUD you may be able to get it through with no fees if by USPS. Your right, most retailers wont mark it as a gift because thats fraud. In my opinion it wouldnt be worth the risk and I am not sure that would buypass GST anyway.
    Your right the$200 - $300 saving on a musicman isnt worth getting it sent. Sending it from oversees is always a risk as far as Im concerned - first thing I did when I got my basses was unwrap and see there was no damage in shipping - thanks God there was none!

3. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I've posted a lot on this before, so do a search on previous posts, but the customs fees through UPS/Fedex are about $A50 and shipped in a hardcase thru them is about $US250. Neck off through USPS is about $A90-100. Add GST of 10% + duties of 5%.

So $A1700 + shipping $US250/$A333 = $A2033
    $A2033 + 15% = $A2338 + $A50 Customs entry fee = $A2388
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Bear in mind retailers in the states aren't allowed to sell you a new Stingray. There are very good (but somewhat boring) reasons for this. Some will "forget" this, but you'll be buying a bass with no warranty. If you're doing this, you might as well buy a used bass on ebay.

Don't try to avoid the import duty and taxes. If you mis-declare the value for customs, you'll also have to mis-declare the value for insurance. And you don't want to do that.
  5. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Re shipping I don't think you have tracking or delivery confirmation if you use USPS (correct me if I am wrong). For my money I would go UPS. You said the difference between overseas and local purchase is about 200 - 300 AUS $. Personally I would pay the extra to be able to walk away with a bass in hand and not have to wait....and worry :eyebrow:
    I just purchased a second hand bass which came by truck ( a total of 10 different brown trucks that covered a distance of 2500 miles) . Needless to say I was a bag of frayed nerve endings until I opened the case and saw it had arrived in one piece.
  6. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    Generally, how much is shipping for a bass from the US to Aus? I'm not sure if there is like a general price or it differs.

Just considering buying a bass of Ebay from a US seller, but they havn't replied yet with the shipping cost
  7. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I would say between 130 - 200 US dollars
  8. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    Full size bass in hardcase via UPS/Fedex is about $US250 on a 5 day to Sydney. Neck off, via USPS, about $US90.
    I've used both methods and USPS is fast and reliable.
  9. Ok - you asked for it - you are wrong ;) Global EMS via USPS has online tracking and insurance - Ive used it

10. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    I stand corrected. Good to know.
  11. shanmag

Jul 27, 2005
    Just wondering, if i were to purchase a bass from the US and have it shipped to Australia, would i be better of shipping it in a hard case or just in a carboard box?

I would imagine it would be safer in the case, shipping would probably cost a bit more for this but thats ok, as long as the bass gets here in one piece!
  12. purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Personally I would prefer the bass be shipped in a hard case. I received a bass that was shipped in a total of 10 trucks over a distance of 2490 miles. The cardboard box was kind of crushed in one corner but the bass was in a hard case and in perfect condition.
  13. Bass centre Melbourne!! They will ship you up a brand new ray for around 2400! Much easier to buy it here in Australia than import from the US IMO.
  14. Thats the deal I was talking about in the first post :)

Yeah, bass centre for the win pricing wise it seems. is pretty good though...
  15. A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    See post #8.
    For a bass shipped in a single piece, use a hardcase.
  16. Vosk,
    I just got a Lefty Stingray 5 in from the States this week. I got it on ebay, as the guys are right, most dealers in the States won't sell new Musicman internationally, it's part of there dealer agreement (thanks to the guys from this site that let me know about that).
    Anyway, the bass was $1085 us + plus around $150us for shippping charges (through USPS shipped in the hard case), which worked out to be around $1650 AUD. I expected to get hit with import duties but for some reason didn't, so that was a nice Christmas bonus.
    I obviously had to get one out of the States because I'm left handed and there wasn't a lefty stingray in the country for sale, that and everyone wanted to quote me $3500 (not one shop offered anywhere near the pricing discounts you can get on a righty) and four to six months waiting. For me it was definitely worth getting it in from the States, and I was lucky the seller on ebay had a lot of feedback that was all positive, and was a great guy, and the bass turned out awesome. But I do have to say it was very scary buying a bass I couldn't road test first, and couldn't see if everything was straight and working correctly.
    Dharmabass calculations on the costs are pretty accurate, so that would be a pretty good guide to follow on getting a new bass out form U.S.A.,
    The guys for the Bass Cantre are really good, and super helpful, if you decide to go that that way they won't lead you wrong.
    Hope that helps.
  17. I ordered from the States as we have no good G&L dealerships in Australia. The bass I ordered, which I had priced locally beforehand, came in at $4800 AUD!! (Curly maple top, gun oil tint neck bumped the price up a bit). Now, 4800 was the RRP, which we all know nobody would pay, but its fair to say I still would have been looking around the 4000 mark AUD in the end.
    When I ordered from the States, the bass including shipping was $2400 AUD, though I will still need to pay the GST and import duties etc., still a hell of a lot cheaper than any price I would have gotten buying locally... damn we get ripped off over here!
  18. Hey Surge, has your L2500 arrived yet?
  19. No... :bawl: :bawl: :bawl:
    Most frustrating part is I can't get a firm date for delivery.
    The wait is KILLING me! Fear not though, there'll be a thread dedicated to its glory as soon as it arrives... :)
  20. THe pain of waiting!!!

Hope it gets to you soon