Internet Access/IP Renew Problem

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by canopener, Jan 6, 2005.

1. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Ok guys, I've been trying to figure this one out for the last few hours, so I thought I'd see if any of you have a solution. We've had two computers hooked up to a router hooked up to a cable modem. Up until I hooked up my new computer, we haven't had any problems as far as internet accessibility is concerned. Tonight was the first time we've had both computers on at the same time, and we've found that only one computer was capable of internet access through the router/modem. Both computers can access the internet, but not at the same time, and only the computer turned on first works properly. Both computers are newish Dells, one notebook, one desktop, both running XP. I've tried releasing/renewing IP addresses to no avail (the IPs will not renew). I've also done a good bit of reading and perhaps I need the the new SB 2 pack? Would anybody in TB world have an idea what's going on here, or what I can do? Again, I haven't had this problem until I hooked up the new computer. Any advice is appreciated.
  2. DaftCat

Jul 26, 2004
    Medicine Hat
    Based on your symptoms, you have a hub(or switch) and not a router.

You can determine that by checking your IP address. If it is 192.168.x.x then it orobably is a router. If not, then it is issued to you by your ISP.

Anyway, what is happening is your ISP offers 1 IP address. First come, first serve really. That's why one PC gets the connection.

Routers are dirt cheap now.

ISP > Router > your two PCs.

Hope this helps,
  3. Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    Yes, your ISP is probably only allowing one connection. If you have a hub, dump it and get a router and put all the IP addressing your ISP gave you (such as the following)...into your router's WAN setup.

IP address:
    Subnet Mask:
    Default Gateway:
    DNS 1:
    DNS 2:
  4. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Thanks for the replies. But I do have a router. And I hadn't had any problems with my router hooked up to two computers before I got the new PC. Is is possible that my router crapped out?
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    It would be an unusual way for a router to crap out.
  6. haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    More than likely, theres just one thing wrong somewhere, check every setting, make sure the right protocols are being used on the WAN and LAN side of the router, check that the router is using either using dhcp and computers are getting an ip, or the router is assigning static ips and the computers each have their proper ip.

Come to think of it, if you are using DHCP and the computers are set up for it right but still not working, disable DHCP and assign all IP's statically then try to use the internet.
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    :eek: Oh, man, how about none of the above? After installing the router software and a couple of restarts, I've got 'em running fine now. Oh, well. Thanks for the responses, anyway...
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    "Restart" is always the number one recommendation to solve your problems. :)