Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

INTERNET BASS PURCHASE

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SUNBURST, Sep 14, 2002.

1. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    I am thinking of purchasing a new Standard Fender Jazz Bass from a online company. Has anyone bought from any of these places and how would you rate them in all respects, service, product, etc.

WWW.MANNYS.COM
    WWW.AMERICANMUSICAL.COM
    WWW.SAMASH.COM

Any replys appreciated.

2. RobOtto

RobOtto

Aug 15, 2002
    Denton, TX
    $5 cheaper here, and I've purchased from these guys with no problems. In genereal though I would not buy a bass online, if I was you unless it is a custom job. MIM guitars like the Fender standard jazz can vary in quality alot and the only way to insure you get a good one is too play several.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com

3. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    Sanitary Supply, Huh?

4. hi there sunburst. go to www.musiciansfriend.com and look up the item you want, just because that's the standard cost and you shouldn't pay any more than they have it for. sam ash is certainly reputable, i haven't heard of the other two though.

5. 3rd Rock

3rd Rock Guest

Sep 19, 2001
    Toms River, NJ
    I purchased my Fender American P-Bass from Music123 . I had a good experience with them. :D

However, I personally have not been happy with service from Musician's Friend, and American Musical Supply in the past.

6. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I have purchased a good deal of gear from www.music123.com and have had good results.
    My ampeg svt-610HLF is on it's way and waiting for my new Ric 4003 to come in then ship also.

7. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    call up sam ash (1-800-4-samash), and they will beat any price that you can find. i do it all the time, usually i just tell them to seach on musicians friend or juststrings.com. make you sure you search around for the best price on the internet before you call though. but they do it right over the phone, it takes just as long to order online as it does to get a better price over the phone. i've done this a couple times, and i havent had any problems yet!

8. I recently bought a Rick 4003 through Musiciansfriend.com,
    and was very pleased with their service.

When I found a Rick for $150 less at zzounds.com, Musiciansfriend credited my card the $150 within a day, so their price-matching claim is for real.

Great service, and the Rick is in perfect condition.

9. Sharp

Sharp

Jan 27, 2002
    Oakland
    Artists Relations, KMI
    i bought a MIM standard jazz online, it sounds really really good. (in this statement i attempted to be unbiased, several other playerss have tried it too) but i know people who bought really bad sounding basses too. its a gamble, and if that gamble saves you some cash, and its worth it to you, then shoot... but it is still a gamble: just cuz i came out of it with an awesome sounding bass doesnt mean you will... good luck though-

-Sharp

10. SUNBURST

SUNBURST

Sep 14, 2002
    Thanks to all that have replied so far. Im going to do a lot of searching and price checking before I buy, the Fender Jazz Bass that I want is a standard in Sunburst and I have found them all to check in around the $420.00 mark. I have found out that they are made in Mexico to me this is disheartening as I thought all Fenders were made here, maybe this is why there is a difference in quality? Maybe the higher priced ones are made here and if thats the case I will save more just to get the better product and not have to worry about a crapshoot where I wast my hard earned bucks on something Ive wanted for a long time and be disappointed with. Your thoughts again are most welcome. I had a nice fretless Jazz Bass in the 1970s, now im kicking myself for selling it. Are there any good sites that sell earlier Jazz Basses in top condition without having to take out a huge loan? :D

11. BassPlayerGush

BassPlayerGush

Sep 23, 2001
    PA
    i would strongly reccomend you go with the fender american series, but you gotta have the cash. i got a fender american jazz deluxe last year, and i love it! i couldn't ask for better craftsmanship. the advantage of fender american's are the resale value. you won't get crap from a fender mexican in a couple years, but an american can equal or go up in a couple years to a couple decades. but the choice is yours. good luck!

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    One of my partners bought a fender American Strat Deluxe from AMS. He ordered three different ones, and had them all at the same time. He kept the best one and sent the others back. No hassle, no muss, no fuss. I bought an SKB mixer case from them. No problem. I recommend them.

13. oooh, that's crafty.

14. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    it also requires a nice high limit on your credit card ;)

15. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Now THAT I can do. 17 grand and climbin' on the platinum plus mastercard. Damn good thing I've got some self control. ;)

brad cook