1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Internet gaming is too insane

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Apr 4, 2006.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Found this over on the Shoutwire, can't link it for PC issues. But here's the article:
    Basically someone died in real life and his online buddies held an online memorial because that was the only way the knew him. Then a rival online group ambushed them. I saw this video, and my god, it was ridiculous. It would have been the most tragic thing I'd have ever seen were it not for the fact that it was in a video game. Just ridiculous. I don't yet know my opinion on this.

2. wow...i have a few friends that play that game, and they are just addicted. I couldn't even get started with it, beause then i too would have the addiction...good thing i don't have 10-15 bucks per month :)

3. lamborghini98

lamborghini98 The Aristocrats

May 1, 2005
    NYC; Portland, OR
    I have a few friends who play that game. It must be really good or something... Dont worry, though. Ill resist and spend my time on Talkbass instead : )

4. YOU STOLE MY CLOUDSONG!

Those "serious business" WoW pages are ridiculous. Sadly, I meet some of these people sometimes.

Capobaby - lvl 43 gnome warlock spirestone PvP

For the alliance!

5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  6. A lot of media outlets like to pull things out of context to make gaming seem utterly ridiculous...

The first thing that they mentioned was a blood curse players would get during the initial release of Zul'Gurub when they fought the last boss the Blood God Hakkar. The basic fight consists of contracting a disease that drains your health, while allowing the boss to siphon your life, in turn, allowing him to contract the disease himself and die. However, some players were managing to contract the disease and heartstone (warp back) to their home town where the disease would spread if a player or even another NPC was in relative proximity. This caused madness 'cause people were dying left and right and passing the curse to NPCs.

Nothing really special, just a funny feature the devs overlooked.

The second thing pretty much happens in every MMO at some point or another. I remember reading about quite a few people who died playing Everquest.

Just the fact that the mourners got ganked though makes it hilarious.

Why would you hold a funeral in contested territory? LEARN2MOURN00bs.

Seriously though, that's sad.

I've been playing since a month after the game launched with my girlfriend. It's fun, just time consuming. The social aspects are great too. You meet really, really hilarious people most of the time.

I'm on Shadow Moon... Character, Norin, 60 Dwarf Hunter.

7. I agree...the game is about fighting and gaining levels, plus my friend showed me that you can go to places where people aren't allowed to fight...they could have just gone there couldn't they?

8. Yep, in World of Warcraft, there're basically three zones.

1. Alliance/Horde Faction Territory - In Alliance territory, Horde cannot attack Alliance unless the Alliance initiates aggression, and vice-versa.

2. Contested Territory - Open warfare.

3. Neutral - If you are openly aggressive, NPCs will attack you.

It was a poor choice of place to hold the procession ^_^;;

9. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    I saw the video - hi-larious! There's paying respect, and then there's being dumb. And being dumb is going into an open area with no armor or weapons ASSUMING that there won't be a group of jackasses who will jump you.

Which happened.

And it was funny.

10. The internet is interactive AND provides anonimity... and many people are jackasses. Put the two together and viola.

11. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    Funny indeed. I never was the online gamer, but I understand what happened to the mourners. :p Nice choice of music, alternating between the Misfits and the slow classical piece.

AuG

12. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    San Jose, CA

hahaha, nice!

Both are funny... It's too bad that their friend died but... haha! ok guys... when i go... can you guys hold a funeral for me and pay your respects in WoW?

13. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    Get elder scrolls VI Oblivion

best offline game ever....:D

14. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    My brother plays it, too. It's damn impressive, but very addictive

15. You mean IV.

There are not VI Elder Scrolls games.

16. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    Glen Cove, NY
    That was funny as hell.

I don't play WoW, I only play WoTMUD, which is basically the same only text-based and only about 100 users on at a time across 3 races. PK is unrestricted too, makes for some wild raids and merciless ganks. The fun is in running your ass off. :p

And to the people who make fun of gamers (and yeah, that ytmd thing was a great example of someone who goes to far), think of it in terms of sports. Some people go crazy over football. I go crazy over WoTMUD. Same fing thing.

17. bannedwit

bannedwit

May 9, 2005
    Buffalo, NY
    +1
    It was pretty funny. I know it was an online funeral thing which is sad and not funny because it was thoughtful but since (a.) it is all internet based and (b.) I have no idea who any of these people are then that makes it okay and funny to me in one of those mean kids who are picking on the little kid in a mean but hilarious way.
    I played this game 2 separate times for aobut 2 months each and then i got bored with it. Me having a life really took over and I couldn't find time to get into it and play it for longer than an hour.

i call it the level 12 curse... I give all these RPG games a chance but am completely bored with it when i get to level 12 and cant get out of the slump.

18. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Sweden
    Video games? People needs to get a life...

19. anonymous278347457

anonymous278347457 Guest

Feb 12, 2005
    sorry thats what i meant, i suck with roman numerals...